S.T.O.P.P.S. - Bus Safety Training
S.T.O.P.P.S School Schedule - Fall 2016
Training is conducted both in the classroom and on the school bus. The classroom portion is a video presented at various times on Channel 28. Teachers are provided with an age appropriate quiz to assist with the training.
An adequate number of buses arrive at each school on a scheduled day and the drivers provide training for the students while they are seated on the bus. This training includes the rules for the bus, safety features of the bus, safety equipment and procedures to follow should the driver be incapacitated. The training concludes with an actual evacuation drill that is timed and recorded.
Portland Public Schools Student Transportation is proud to provide student safety training that exceeds State requirements. Questions regarding our S.T.O.P.P.S. training can be directed via email to Keith Wright.
Oregon Department of Education
Rules for Pupil Instruction
Rules Governing Pupils Riding School Buses
(1) Pupils being transported are under authority of the bus driver.
(2) Fighting, wrestling, or boisterous activity is prohibited on the bus.
(3) Pupils shall use the emergency door only in case of emergency.
(4) Pupils shall be on time for the bus both morning and evening.
(5) Pupils shall not bring firearms, weapons, or other potentially hazardous material on the bus.
(6) Pupils shall not bring animals, except approved assistance guide animals on the bus.
(7) Pupils shall remain seated while the bus is in motion.
(8) Pupils may be assigned seats by the bus driver.
(9) When necessary to cross the road, pupils shall cross in front of the bus or as instructed by the bus driver.
(10) Pupils shall not extend their hands, arms, or heads through bus windows.
(11) Pupils shall have written permission to leave the bus other than at home or school.
(12) Pupils shall converse in normal tones; loud or vulgar language is prohibited.
(13) Pupils shall not open or close windows without permission of the bus driver.
(14) Pupils shall keep the bus clean and refrain from damaging it.
(15) Pupils shall be courteous to the driver, to fellow pupils, and passersby.
(16) Pupils who refuse to obey promptly the directions of the driver or refuse to obey regulations may forfeit their privilege to ride on the buses.
(17) Rules Governing Pupils Riding School Buses must be kept posted in a conspicuous place in all school buses.
Failure to Stop for Bus Safety Lights; Penalty
(1) A driver commits the offense of failure to stop for bus safety lights if the driver meets or overtakes from either direction any vehicle that is stopped on a roadway and that is operating red bus safety lights described under ORS 816.260 and the driver does not:
(a) Stop before reaching the vehicle; and
(b) Remain standing until the bus safety lights are no longer operating.
Vehicles must stop for a school bus using its School Bus Safety Lights and Stop Arm
When the bus is stopped in the right-hand lane of traffic on an undivided highway, to load or unload pupils, all traffic must stop
When the bus is stopped in the right-hand lane of traffic on a highway divided by a barrier or unpaved median strip, only traffic going in the same direction must stop. Approaching traffic may proceed