Select a School...
Select a School

Portland Public Schools

 
Portland, Oregon

501 N. DixonPortland, OR 97227(503) 916-2000

Laurelhurst
Historic Laurelhurst Elementary School is now safer and drier thanks to the PPS School Building Improvement Bond. Work included: Removing the old roof materials and installing roof-level seismic upgrades. Installing plywood sheathing, new insulation, membrane roofing, vents and mechanical hoods. Improving two science labs and reducing the height of the brick chimney.

Laurelhurst is one of five schools that were successfully upgraded this summer. The work was completed on budget and in time for students to return to school. View the Laurelhurst bond work poster.

Laurelhurst Upgrades


Upgrades  
 
 
 
  • New roofing consisting of insulation and roofing materials, and roof top mechanical units
  • Removal of all existing roofing materials to the wood or concrete deck substrate.
  • The construction includes seismic bracing of the roof
  • Laurelhurst grade 6-8 science classrooms receive new sinks and electrical outlets. 

Stay Informed


The construction work at Laurelhurst was substantially completed before the start of school on September 4th. All the summer Bond work was completed on time and on budget.

[View overall Bond timeline]

In The News


Portland Public Schools News, “School year launches with successful summer bond projects”
September 04, 2013
View this story here.
 
Oregon Live, “Roofing at Laurelhurst School”
August 6, 2013
View this story here.

For more Bond related stories, visit our News and Media Page.

Learn more about Laurelhurst at their web site.

Get Connected


For more information about school building improvements, contact: 503-916-2222 or email the office of school modernization

PPS Social Media:
Facebook Twitter Youtube

Laurelhurst School history

In 1913, four years after the founding of the Laurelhurst Company that developed the surrounding neighborhood, a property was set aside for the developer to become Laurelhurst School. It was another five years before the first portable was opened for students in the fall of 1918, but when 60 students arrived, a second portable was added. By 1922, there were six portables, housing seven grades. The school was originally known as Scott School, after the first editor of the Oregonian newspaper. The school building itself was begun in 1922, and classes began in the new school building in February 1924. In 1925, the north wing and the north gym were completed. Also in 1925, the first class graduated from Laurelhurst School.
CLOSE