At da Vinci Arts Middle School, we strive to sustain a robust and rigorous Arts-Focus option program for all students. |
Students engage in our academic and arts program in a 6 period day with our regular bell schedule including 3 classes before lunch and three after.
Our Academic Program
da Vinci students have four core academic classes each day - see your students' teacher web page/calendars for specifics.
6th grade students experience their academic courses with other 6th graders in a model designed to support their transition to Middle School.
7th & 8th grade students experience mixed-upper grades classes for ELA, SS, and Science & are placed in their Math classes per the district trajectory.
To enable the mixed upper grade classes, our teachers follow a 2-year curricular rotation. For example, in 2016-17 all 7/8G students engage in US History, and in 2017-18 they will be engaged in Medieval World Studies. Like other schools, da Vinci follows the PPS Instruction, Curriculum & Assessment deptartment's curricular materials, and our teacher's supplement as needed for their classes.
The arts are often used in the core academic classes as a way of engaging students, integrating content, and reinforcing learning.
Our Arts Program
- Most da Vinci students have two art classes each day.
- da Vinci offers Dance to fulfill Physical Education requirements.
- All students forecast for both Year-long and Explore arts preferences each year, and we strive to place students in one of their top 3 preferences.
- New students to the school, including 6th graders, generally take the 2nd period Explore wheel (a rotation of four quarterly arts classes) alongside 7th and 8th graders who want only one term of Dance to meet their PE requirement.
- 8th grade students engage in an Arts Capstone experience through a particular daily arts course approved by their arts teachers.
2016-17 da Vinci Arts program:
Our Special Education Program
Students who have qualified for Special Education services have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Students with IEPs at da Vinci are generally fully mainstreamed into the 4 academic classes and one arts class each day and also take a Study Skills class (in lieu of the second art class) through our Learning Center classrooms or our District-placed Communication Behavior Program.