SUPPORT OUR NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL!
Come celebrate Earth Day with the Lewis Elementary PTA as we launch our new event
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Garden Fair!
The event is on April 22nd from 9AM-3PM
How can you help support our neighborhood school?
1) Donate those items you've been hoarding. We're going to expand our recycling efforts to include eye glasses, batteries, computer/electronic equipment, hard plastics (the kind you can't take to New Seasons or put in the curb bins), sheet or block styrofoam (no peanuts - take those to UPS!), textiles. Donations are tax deductible. The drop off date is April 21st 8AM-4PM - 4401 SE Evergreen Street. Contact Shawn Jaquiss (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
2) Donate plants from the garden fair - start your seeds (I just started a bunch of tomatoes and kale) and dig out those crowding plants to share with neighbors. Drop off for plants no earlier than will also be April 17th. Contact Rebecka Amodei (email@example.com) for details.
3) Sign up to volunteer for this event. It is not possible to fund raise for PTA school-supported programs without volunteers. If we do not have enough volunteers by April 11th, we will have to cancel the event. This would mean a potential loss of $6000 to school programming. Signups are at the school office and through signup genius.
4) Bring friends and shop on April 22nd - 9AM-3PM!
5) Sharing this post on social media!
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! My name is Helen Nolen and I will be the interim Principal this year. I’m happy to join the staff and Lewis community for this next school year. Working with Mr. Lauer and several staff members throughout the years, I know the dedicated effort and quality work that happens at Lewis Elementary. I’m honored to be a part of this team and I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you.
In 1983, I started with PPS as an itinerant TAG K-2 teacher. At that time I was in the same 10 schools every week teaching TAG strategies to K-2 students. Students were bused or taxied to me and I happened to teach at Lewis on Tuesday afternoons! Throughout my years in PPS I’ve also taught 3rd and 4th grade. Several years I was at the District Level training teachers, working in curriculum and was also the Science Coordinator for the district. I have also had the honor of being Asst Principal at Jackson MS, Principal at Buckman, Sellwood MS and Peninsula K-8. My most rewarding time has been working in schools with staff and parents focusing on children and planning for their best education and future. I look forward to being a partner with you.
On a personal level, my own two children graduated from Portland Public Schools and I’m awaiting my 2nd Great Grandchild in early August!
A very obvious new item at Lewis is the nature-based playground. Many thanks to parents who earned money for this project and to Amy O’Connor who coordinated the PPS contractor, City of Portland inspectors, district delivery of bark dust, and worked hard to have this structure ready for the start of school! CONGRATULATIONS!!
Lewis K-3rd graders will be a part of a Mt. Hood Cable Commission grant this year called TechSmart. Mr. Hanson will be the teacher-coordinator working with our K-3 team to bring enhanced technology/reading instructional strategies to our students.
Again, WELCOME to an exciting 2016-2017 school year!
Tonight, the Portland Public Schools Board of Education approved a resolution to refer a capital construction bond to Portland voters for the May 16, 2017 ballot. This proposed bond is the second in the series to fully modernize school sites across the district over the next few decades.
Feb. 23, 2017: Student hosts of the International Youth Leadership Conference welcomed Interim Superintendent Bob McKean to PSU as part of their celebration of the cultural and linguistic assets that our Emergent Bilingual students bring to Portland Public Schools. To learn more about this unique event, visit our web page at bit.ly/2017IYLC
Dear PPS Students, Families and Staff:
I know there is a lot of anxiety and concern in our communities about current events related to potential federal immigration enforcement activity - and we have been equally concerned.
I want to assure you that the actions at the federal level do not reflect the values of our district.
PPS remains committed to creating safe and inclusive learning environments for all of our students regardless of race, gender, gender identify, religion, ethnicity or immigration status.
Dear Students, Families and Staff:
I wanted to reach out to assure you that actions this week by the federal government to reduce protections for transgender students does not change or diminish our commitment to upholding clear PPS policies and guidelines that prohibit discrimination based on gender identity or expression.
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM 3rd grade Coding Class
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM 4th grade Violin, Group B
3:00 PM - 5:15 PM Drama Rehearsal
7:45 AM - 8:35 AM K-1 Yoga
8:00 AM - 8:40 AM 3rd grade Recorder Club
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM 5th grade Band
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Boomin' Beats
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM 4th grade Violin, Group A
3:00 PM - 5:15 PM Drama Rehearsal
7:45 AM - 8:35 AM Grades 2-5 Yoga