We continue to work to get schools ready to open tomorrow. Ice is our biggest barrier and concern, and the safety of students and staff is our priority.
The vast majority of our schools have been cleared of snow yet, there are still a significant number that have walkways and other paths covered in ice, which we are working to clear today.
We are watching the weather forecast closely and are concerned that even if we have all paths cleared tonight that overnight predictions of freezing temperatures—and potentially freezing rain—could result in additional hazards tomorrow both in transportation to school and accessibility to walk safely through our school grounds.
Our goal is to open schools tomorrow, but we will not make that final determination until tomorrow morning when we have a more accurate assessment on the weather and the impact on the safety of our students and staff.
We are anxious to welcome students and staff back to school but must make sure the conditions are safe for all of our students in all of our schools.
Thank you for your continued support and patience. We understand this has been a frustrating week.
We will send a communication to families early tomorrow with confirmation of the decision unless we have more definitive information tonight.