Looking ahead to the 2020-2021 School Year
Opportunities for you to Take the Lead and Become a Changemaker at Alameda
As we look ahead to the 2020-2021 school year, we ask that you remain mindful that public schools need our involvement! There are many ways to give of your time and heart to the school; some can be done in the comfort of your own home while others occur on-site at different times. Please review this broad list of opportunities and keep in mind these Top 10 Reasons to join the Alameda PTA Board of Directors and/or Lead Volunteer Position:
- To learn more about our school community’s activities.
- Get involved with a tiny non-profit affiliated with state and national PTA
- Help our school offer a range of learning and community-building opportunities for students and families.
- Give back to your public school.
- Model volunteer service to your children.
- Spend time with adults who like a good time and work hard.
- Build skills that add to your resume and professional experience.
- Make connections with other families in your child’s school.
- For the kids.
- You won’t regret it.
The following is a list of Board positions for which elections will be held at our next PTA meeting on Wednesday, May 6. If you are interested in joining the Alameda PTA Board in one of these positions, please send a note to the Nominating Committee indicating your interest. No experience is necessary!
- President: The president is responsible for directing the affairs of the association in cooperation with the other members of the Alameda PTA Board. In order to be eligible to serve in this office, candidates should have served at least 1 year on the Board in some capacity. For more details please see Chapter 3, pages 4-10 of the Oregon PTA Officers Manual.
- Secretary: The secretary is responsible for keeping accurate records of the proceedings of the association. For a detailed list of responsibilities, please see Chapter 3, pages 12-15 of the Oregon PTA Officers Manual.
- VP Communications: Keeping the Alameda families informed about events, meetings, advocacy, and other PTA related business is a critical part of supporting our community and running a successful PTA. The VP of Communications works with Alameda volunteers, parents, students, and staff to oversee all public communications for the Alameda PTA. This may be completed by other dedicated volunteers, with oversight by the VP of Communications. Read more >
- VP Fundraising: Oversee all fundraising activities for the school year. Work closely with volunteers, families, staff and students to raise the amount needed to meet proposed budget. Committee chairs may be formed to lighten workload and ensure event/activity is successful. VP of Fundraising should continue to research new options, taking into account the PTA’s current goals and objectives. All fundraising must get the board’s approval before going forward. Read more >
- VP Curriculum Support: Curriculum Support activities enrich the Alameda learning and classroom curricula. The VP of Curriculum Support serves as general support and liaison to standing committees/parent volunteers leading Curriculum Support activities on behalf of the PTA board. Read more >
- VP Advocacy: Child advocacy has been the cornerstone of PTA since our founding in 1897. Advocacy is often a gradual process requiring patience and year to year efforts not only at the National and State level but also the local unit level. It is the job of the VP Advocacy to both inform and encourage advocacy by all our members. Read more >
- VP Equity and Inclusion: Across Portland Public Schools each school building has its own path in equity and inclusion work. At Alameda, this work includes supporting parent lead groups - Courageous Conversations, Families of Students of Color, and the School Climate Team. Additionally, this position works with the School Equity Team to foster a community that respects, honors, understands and supports inclusion for all students.
If any of the Board positions above interests you, please contact the Alameda PTA Nominating Committee.
All PTA members are eligible to vote and encouraged to do so! You must attend the meeting to cast your ballot. If you would like to vote, but have not yet become an Alameda PTA member for the 2019-2020 school year, it is not too late! Join today and you'll be immediately eligible to vote AND you'll be helping support all the enrichment and community-building programs the PTA provides.
Lead Volunteer Roles
Stay tuned for more details! We're working to identify lead volunteer needs for the 2020-2021 school year. In the meantime if there is something in particular you are interested in please contact the Alameda PTA Nominating Committee.
Thank you for considering these opportunities and exploring how you might volunteer your time to not only make a difference for your child, but also for the entire community!