Being an ASPIRE mentor means engaging students in conversations about their aspirations for the
future and helping them:
• Explore career and postsecondary options
• Choose the best fit
• Plan, apply and pay for their postsecondary choice
TIPS FOR MENTORING:
MAKING IT EFFECTIVE AND BENEFICIAL
• Be enthusiastic
• Get to know your student – ask questions
• Share advice about choices for after high school
• Share your own experience
• Help students meet deadlines
• Provide assistance with essays and applications
• Direct students to scholarship resources
• Be reliable and consistent
POTENTIAL STUDENT QUESTIONS FOR MENTORS
• What career did you think you would have when you were in high school?
• What do you wish you would have known in high school?
• What are your hobbies? Interests?
• What are your current personal and professional priorities and how did you determine those?
• What is a typical day like for you?
• What career path did you take to get where you are?
• What are the qualifications and educational requirements for your line of work?
• What factors would make one fail or succeed in this type of work?
• How many people work in your department? What do they do? What are the opportunities for advancement?
• What challenges are currently faced by your organization? Your industry?
Contact a high school college coordinator today to sign up to be an ASPIRE mentor!