Creative Science School LotteryThe 2023 - 2024 Lottery for K - 5th is CLOSED. Please check back then for more information.
Kindergarten at Creative Science
Constructivism is the idea that meaningful knowledge is actively constructed rather than passively absorbed.
In a constructivist classroom, students are asked questions and invited to use what they already know to construct new ideas (creative) then test those ideas in context (science) in order to arrive at answers through experience and critical thinking.
At Creative Science School, teachers guide students through this practice of inquiry and discovery to promote curiosity, confidence, and connection— toward learning, toward themselves and each other, toward community— so that students may use these tools throughout their education and into adulthood.Please feel free to email us with any questions.Joanna Goebel, CSS School Administrative Assistant/Registrar, email@example.comCreative Science School is a constructivist focus option in Portland Public School for children in grades K-8. Students are encouraged to be independent thinkers, learners, and problem solvers. Our students develop and demonstrate the ability to create questions, formulate solutions, and apply results throughout their lives. At CSS, we believe that children learn best when they explore and discover on their own, constructing their knowledge through hands-on experiences and problem-solving. We are a focus-option K-8 serving the diverse students and families in Portland Public Schools. Our constructivist approach to learning ensures that all of our students become critical, reflective thinkers, courageous problem-solvers, and engaged, compassionate community builders.
Though our name might imply otherwise, CSS does not focus specifically on the sciences. The “Science” in our name refers to the school’s approach to using the scientific method as a teaching tool. The scientific method consists of a collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses and predictions. And, as our name does imply, we do this creatively!
At CSS, our teachers use the constructivist educational philosophy and kindergarten through the fifth uses the storyline approach in every classroom. This means your child will be immersed in a curriculum that asks questions, encourages investigation, promotes cooperative learning, develops problem-solving language, and celebrates creativity. We strive to create a climate where mutual respect among teachers, students, and parents is the foundation and learning how to learn and think is both a daily goal and an opportunity.
Our parent and family community plays a vital role at CSS. Parent involvement is key to making CSS an outstanding and vibrant place to think, learn, and play. CSS relies heavily on the energy and volunteer support of our parents, and we encourage all members of our community to get involved in some way to support our school.Creative Science School K-5 LotteryThe elementary school lottery for 2023-24 is CLOSEDThe lottery is conducted by PPS Enrollment and Transfer Center.Please note: We do not conduct individual tours. If you have any questions, please email: Joanna Goebel, School Administrative Assistant/Registrar firstname.lastname@example.orgResults will be texted, emailed, and mailed to the information you provided in the lottery application in the spring of 2023. Families are notified before Creative Science School receives results.For more information about CSS admissions, check out the tab at the top of this page: "Our School" > "How to Enroll" > "Admission"Information for Prospective CSS Families
Who can apply?
How many spots are available?
- Students can begin at Creative Science School in kindergarten or transfer in at any grade level up to 8th grade.
When does the lottery open?
- There are typically around 45 kindergarten slots available each year and a handful of spaces available in grades first through eighth.
- Middle School Lottery (Midlevel 6th-8th grade): is CLOSED
Join us for an information session to see if we are a good fit for your student.
- K-5 Lottery: is CLOSED
How to Apply?
- Information sessions at CSS ARE NOT MANDATORY for new families.
- Information sessions for families that currently have siblings ARE NOT MANDATORY.
- Enrollment at Creative Science School is managed by the Portland Public Schools transfer process, which conducts a lottery for all transferring students. For further information on the transfer process, check the PPS website, or contact the Enrollment and Transfer Center, 503-916-3205.
How do I apply for the lottery for a sibling of a current CSS student?
- In order to enroll a sibling, you need to apply for the lottery online: https://www.pps.net/Page/2343. You’ll need your current CSS student’s ID number.
How do I know if my student(s) was accepted?
- Once the lottery is run, you will be notified by email and letter by the PPS Office of Enrollment and Transfer.
- Typically families find out results before the school.
- Families will be provided formal registration paperwork, information about joining email lists, and parent groups, and will be able to ask more specific questions. The CSS Office will reach out to families using the contact information provided in the lottery application.
PPS Policy on Student Enrollment and Transfers