SLIP (Second Language Inventory Protocol) Test
The SLIP is an option for students to obtain World Language Credit with little or no English proficiency. Exam questions are in the language the student is testing in.
- Spaces are limited.
- Pre -Registration with counselors is required. Walk-in registration is not encouraged. (See schedule below)
- Students must present current high school ID to be admitted on the day of testing, no exceptions.
Available languages for testing*:
American Sign Language, Amharic, Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese Cantonese, Czech, Hindi, Korean, Lao, Maay-Maay, Oromo, Romanian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Zomi
Languages NOT available for 2018-2019:
Burmese, Chuukese, Dari, Hindi, Karen, Nepali, Persian, Thai, Urdu
*Note: Language availability subject to change.
There are no practice tests available for review before SLIP testing.
Out of District: $50 for non-PPS students
(If paying by check or money orders, make payable to Portland Public Schools. Please note "SLIP testing" on the check. Payment in advance is required for non-PPS students.)
Schedule & Registration:
SLIP Testing for Grades 9-12
Start times begin at 9:00 AM. However, exact start times depend on the language the student is testing in. Details about the time will be sent in the confirmation email.
- October 29, 2018 at Cleveland High School CLOSED
- January 22, 2019 at Cleveland High School CLOSED
- April 8, 2019 at Cleveland High School CANCELLED
ALL SLIP testing for this school year will be cancelled.
SLIP Testing for 8th Grade PPS students ONLY:
- Please contact your school counselors for the exam details.
Diane Berthoin-Hernandez, LCO/VS Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-916-6120, or x71730
Keisha Mateo, email@example.com 503-916-6120, x71732