Math Work Samples
For graduation, all students will need to demonstrate their proficiency in the Essential Skill of Mathematics. If students are not able to achieve passing scores on the Smarter Balanced Assessment, they can demonstrate their proficiency in the Essential Skill of Mathematics by scoring a 4 or higher on each of the five required traits for TWO Math Work Samples using the PPS Entry Form and the Official State Scoring Guide.
The five required traits are Making Sense of the Task, Representing and Solving the Task, Communicating Reasoning, Accuracy, and Reflecting and Evaluating.
Students must pass two work samples in two of the three following strands: Geometry, Algebraic Reasoning, and Statistics/Probability.
Work Sample Entry Form (Use for Graduation Requirement)
- Entry Form/Feedback Form -- use as 1 of 2 acceptable means to communicate feedback to students
- Modified - Entry Form/Feedback Form -- use as 1 of 2 acceptable means to communicate feedback to students
Work Sample Scoring Guide
- Mathematics Problem Solving Scoring Guide - use as 2 of 2 acceptable means to communicate feedback to students
- Mathematics Problem Solving Scoring Guide (Spanish) - use as 2 of 2 acceptable means to communicate feedback to students
Work Sample Formula and Conversion Sheet
Practice Math Work Samples and Helpful Resources
- Practice Work Samples -- for use as class assignments or practice tests
- Problem Solving Tips -- for students as they learn to use the official Scoring Guide
Please contact Math TOSA Jaclyn Herzog (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need additional information.