Looking for something interesting to do during the summer?
We've done some research to help get you started. This is not an exhaustive list and your counselors and Portland Public Schools do not endorse or recommend any specific program on this list. It is provided to inspire you to investigate your options. Do your own research by pointing your web browser to search for Portland + Summer 2019 + ________ (fill in the blank with a keyword representing your interest) to find the class, camp or program that matches your schedule, budget and interests.
Teens Rise Up is a 5-day intensive workshop is for teens aged 14-18 who want to develop their leadership capacity, build new friendships, impact their communities, and have fun doing it! Teens will engage in creative activities to increase personal power, find their unique gifts, build communication skills, strengthen relationship and facilitate conflict within themselves and in groups. Click here for more info.
Summer Camps & Classes
- Art Adventures at Oregon College of Art & Craft includes classes, camps and workshops
- Building Camps sponsored by Oregon Tradeswomen
- Community Cycling Center's Bike Camp
- Fire Fighter Camp for Girls
- iDTech, a national tech education company, offers STEM education on the Lewis & Clark campus
- Invention Bootcamp-Application due April 30th
- Mercy Corps Summer Camp: International Development 101
- NW Film Center, Film Camps for kids + teens (animation, green screen, media arts)
- OMSI’s 9-12th grade summer camps
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s summer program for juniors
- Oregon State University’s pre-college summer programs
- Oregon Tech’s Daydreamer Film Camp at their Klamath Falls campus and other summer programs
- Outward Bound's wilderness adventures (some Oregon rafting/mountain trips, most programs in other states)
- Portland Actor's Conservatory, Summer on Stage Youth Conservatory
- Pendulum Aerial Arts' Recreation Classes and Contemporary Circus Summer Intensives
- PLACE, a youth civic engagement program with an urban planning focus
- Portland Center Stage, Summer Intensives
- Portland Community College, Summer Teen Program
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Camp for Girls
- POWGirls Film Workshops including Intro to Filmmaking, Advanced Documentary Workshop, and Advanced Music Video Workshop
- Saturday Academy, a wide variety of hands-on classes and camps
- Youth Empowered Action Camp
- Young Entrepreneur’s Business Week, one week events at your choice of OSU, UO or the U of Portland
Volunteer Opportunities, Unpaid Internships, Jop Shadows
- Camp Yakety Yak is looking for volunteers this summer. Interested in educational or therapuetic careers? This would be a great fit.
- Free Geek’s volunteers bring home a computer after 24 hours of volunteering
- Multnomah County Library, join Summer Reads or volunteer at the library
- Oregon Zoo has many volunteer opportunities for youth.
- Pixie Project- Perfect if you love cats and dogs!
- Portland Parks & Rec,Volunteer
- Portland State University’s Summer Business Institute
- Project Lemonade, volunteer opportunities to support efforts to supply foster kids with clothes and school supplies
- Portland branding agency, FINE, offers job shadow opportunity
- Looking for internships in the high-wage, high-demand fields of Computer Information Systems, Health Sciences and Manufacturing? FutureWorks is offering several opportunities to grow your skills and receive on-the-job training.
Jobs & Paid Internships