For more information on Lincoln's TAG program, contact Mark Halpern, TAG Coordinator
Click here to see additional information on Lincoln's IB program.
Differentiation strategies in place within our school’s classrooms include:
- Using pre-assessment to inform instruction
- Flexible grouping
- Curriculum compacting
- Tiered lessons
- Higher level questioning
- Independent projects, acceleration through AP and Honors classes are also available
You can see which differentiation strategies a specific teacher uses listed in their course syllabi.
Additionally, pre-assessment or on-going formative assessments are used to help inform instruction. Teachers document the type of Pre-Assessments they use specifically in their syllabi. Some examples are:
- Know, Would like to learn, Learned
- Learning logs
We determine whether a student needs acceleration in the following way:
- Students demonstrate proficiency on Pre and Post Assessments
- Through Parent, Student and Counselor recommendations and expressed interest in advanced work
- If student is already working at or above grade level in one or a number of areas
Options for Acceleration
The following options for acceleration are available at our school:
- Taking classes both on and off campus
- Subject acceleration in classroom using higher grade materials
- Attending a class off site, online courses or taking classes beyond age level peers
- Credit by Exam
- AP and Honors or duel credit courses are other options
Students who wish to access acceleration options can do so by talking with their counselor, any administrator and/or their teacher.
Off Campus acceleration options
- PSU Link Program
- Reed Young Scholars Program
- Saturday Academy
- Lewis and Clark Templeton Scholars
Students should see their counselor, or an administrator to find out more.
Additional services available for TAG students
- Speech and Debate
- Model United Nations
- Mock Trial
- Art Club
- Yearbook and school newspaper.
- Many other options are listed in the Forecast Guide or by watching the Daily Bulletin and weekly Spotlight
Nominations are now open and forms are available in the counseling office or at Identification - Talented and Gifted - Portland Public Schools