Reading Work Samples
Official Reading Work Sample Assessments for Essential Skills.
Reading Work Sample Entry Sheet
- If students have not passed Smarter Balanced or any one of these alternative tests - ACT, PSAT, SAT, PLAN, Compass, ASSET, Work Keys, AP, and IB - they may meet the essential skills requirement by earning a passing score of 12 on two Official Reading Work Sample Assessment.
- Official Reading Work Sample Assessments require students to read a passage of 1000-2000 words, and write answers to six prompts. Students are encouraged to take margin notes because these notes support their score. Students must score a total of 12/18 points to pass this test. If they have a score of 10 or 11, they have a chance to revise their answers for a new score. Guidelines for revision are included in the PPS "Reading Work Samples Implementation Guide."
- Completion of the Official Reading Work Sample Assessment is not an easier option; it is an alternative option to Smarter Balanced at the same level of rigor that was required by meeting on OAKS. Students do not have to have a minimum score on Smarter Balanced to take this assessment, but those whose scores are in the "nearly meets" category are the best candidates to be successful.
- Students on an IEP who are working toward a modified diploma may take a modified reading work sample assessment that is consistent with the requirements of their IEP. Note that unless the student meets specific requirements as written in state OAR 581-022-1130, students should be placed on a modified course of study no sooner than 6th grade or later than 2 years prior to graduation. For more information see Determining Essential Skills Modifications.
- Official Reading Work Sample Assessments must be administered at school, under testing conditions. Students may not submit class work as a substitute.
- Each high school has a plan to prepare students for success on the assessment, which includes instruction in taking and using margin notes, and teacher feedback on Practice Reading Work Samples.
Additional resources for administration/teachers:
ODE Reading Essential Skill Assessment
Please contact ELA TOSA Duncan Carranza (email@example.com) if you need additional information.