Financial aid is divided into two categories: loans and grants.
- Loans need to be repaid after graduating from college.
- Grants do not need to be repaid and are given by colleges and other organizations.
- Use the net price calculator on college websites to estimate your costs.
- Two great resources for learning everything about financial aid: types of payment for college, loan types, loan repayment:
- Fall Financial Aid Night: Powerpoint
What is the FAFSA?
FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Used by schools to determine your eligibility for loans and grants
- Allows you to determine your eligibility for loans and grants based on your parents' income.
- Requires a PIN, which you should get in the fall of your senior year.
- Use the FAFSA forecaster for an early estimate of eligibility for federal aid as well as some state need-based grants. (Click "continue" after you follow this link.)