Near Peer Mentor Program
Families, students, and educators are the key to creating a school where students thrive, have the tools to succeed, and aspire to higher education. To take action on that vision, the Near Peer Mentor Program launches teams of near-peer college work-study mentors from the local community into cohort schools.
Local mentors from the community who are attending post-secondary education or training are paired with teachers to enrich classrooms, provide college and career exposure activities, and help students develop a college-going identity.
In addition to working directly with teachers in the classroom, Near Peer Mentors have numerous paid opportunities for professional development including:
- Summer intensive (partner teachers and NPMs);
- NPM-centered professional development retreats and workshops throughout the year;
- Ongoing quality coaching from a supervisor, mentoring from NPM Alum, etc.
CAMs serve in the following schools:
- Roosevelt High School (11th/12th); Astor, Cesar Chavez, George (7th/8th)
- Jefferson High School (11th/12th); Faubion, Ockley Green, Tubman, Vernon (7th/8th)
- McDaniel High School (11th/12th); Harrison Park, Roseway Heights (7th/8th)
For more information about the Near Peer Mentor Program, contact Jennie Cha, NPM Program Supervisor, at email@example.com or (503) 916-3636.