November 20th, 2020
Happy Friday! I am always surprised when it is time to write another Parent Update. These weeks just go by so fast! I have had the great fortune to meet with a lot of parents over the past two weeks in meetings ranging from Let’s Talk Race, PTA and Middle School Coffee Talk. I truly enjoy those conversations but wish that we could have them in person. Until then, we just make do.
Until further notice, all classroom material distributions will be contactless. That means that all materials will be placed in bins in the front of the building (both buildings) during the day and brought in at night. We will also provide bins for any work that needs to be turned in. Please look for your teacher's name, which will be labeled with instructions, e.g. drop-off, pick-up, etc.
All library book distributions have been put on hold until at least the week of December 14. We will try to do one distribution that week but we may have to cancel depending on COVID numbers. The above two distribution changes are being made to help protect our entire community from spreading COVID-19. I am sorry if this causes any inconvenience to your family.
CANVAS Support (Middle School Only)
If you or your child is struggling with using Canvas, here is an opportunity for you.
Open invitation from the Virtual Scholars Program for any PPS 6-12 family and staff to get support for Canvas and other CDL tech during conferences. Families can grab one of our many slots during conferences to ask questions and get one on one support from the VS team.
They can come any time between 8:30 and 4:30. Families: https://www.myconferencetime.com/virtualscholars/
In case you misplaced them from last week, below you will find a set of questions that I found on the national PTA website. I think these are good questions but please don’t ask them all or you will be with the teacher all day.
- How do you best prefer to communicate with me? (Email? Phone? Text? Notes?)
- What do you see as my child’s strengths?
- What do you think are the academic challenges for my child?
- What would you do if my child were struggling academically with something?
- How is my child doing socially?
- How do you support kids in their social development? For example, how do you address challenges that happen at recess?
- Is my child on grade level for reading? What about math, science, and writing?
- How does the school handle standardized testing and prep for those tests?
- Can we talk more about your homework policy and how my child is doing with homework?
- What can I do at home to support what you’re doing in the classroom?
There will not be a parent update next week. That is it for this week. Have a great weekend!
Upcoming Coffee Talks
- December 3, 7:00 p.m. - Hollyrood Coffee Talk
- January 8, 9:30 a.m. - Hollyrood Coffee Talk
- January 21, 7:00 p.m. - Grades 2-5 Coffee Talk
Conferences with Counselors
If you'd like to schedule a time with your grade level counselor to touch base about your child, please access the links below. We are available and would love to support your child's academic and emotional success this year.
SCHEDULING A CONFERENCE WITH YOUR COUNSELOR
Ms. Kobs: Go to appointment page for this calendar
Ms. Jablonski sign up app: https://calendly.com/ajablonski-1
MS Parent Support Group w/Counselor
During the "supporting mental health during distance learning" breakout session this past week, the middle school parents requested continuing and forming a weekly support group to share, brainstorm, listen, and acknowledge the realities of virtual learning. I'm happy to add this to my weekly schedule. Please fill out the survey to give input on day/time.
December “Season of Sharing”
If you are a family in need, please fill out the Season of Sharing 2020 survey by Friday, December 11. Our Season of Sharing this year is unlike any other in year’s past because of Covid. This year, we will mail families in need gift cards. If you would like to donate, please contact Darci White at firstname.lastname@example.org.