Wilson Peer Counselors, 2018-19
Pancake Days, 2018
Wilson Peer Counseling
Peer Counseling is a class at Wilson High School where students master active listening skills and contribute a lot of behind-the-scenes support for our student community. Peer Counselors are a trained group of trustworthy students who are available to their peers for counseling. Students may drop in to see Peer Counselors every day at lunch and at all Tutor Times. The Peer Counselors’ office is in the Counseling Department in the Wilson main office.
Here are some of the Peer Counselors' activities from the past recent year:
- Peers volunteered 56 hours during registration welcoming new kids to Wilson
- They have given at least 38 welcoming tours to students who transfer to WHS mid-year, and follow up to help them get connected here
- They served 291 plates of pancakes in October, to help our student body get to know them
- They have given at least 15 tours to interested 8th-grade families who are considering WHS next year--and they do SUCH a great job of representing our school
- Peers delivered 30-40 minute presentations to 16 sections of freshman classes in October and again in February covering topics including: all the resources for help at WHS, the importance of getting involved at school, goal-setting, positive behavior, creating a kind community, managing stress, and self care.
- Currently, they are working one-on-one providing support to over 30 freshman students who've asked to meet with a peer
Soon, they will be carrying out projects that help our community. In recent years these have included the College Panel for all Juniors, presentations to incoming 8th-grade classes, volunteering at community events, reaching out to our ELD and Pioneer students, and other student-driven efforts.
Peer Counseling Events
New Student Lunch:
Transferring from another school can be a tough experience. We decided to a host a lunch with all the new students, so that they can get to know some friendly faces, and build new relationships.
New Student Brochure:
To help new students in adjusting to Wilson, we have put together a pamphlet that contains basically everything you need to know. Usually when you are new, you receive many packets and papers and it can be difficult to comb through. We decided to make the process simpler, by creating a pamphlet that contains helpful information from staff members to graduation requirements.
It can be especially difficult to make friends when there is a language barrier between you and your peers. We reached out to kids in the ELL class and hosted them for lunch. It was an amazing experience for both our peer counseling team, and the ELL students.
We hosted four Waffle Days this year, one for each grade. It’s a chance to get to know and meet new people, and advertise the peer counseling program as a resource.
These are just a handful of the events and outreach projects we have hosted. We plan to host many more in the future, but we need your help. We have expenses that go along the training of our peers, and our outreach projects.