Forest Park News
From Principal Lisa Newlyn
Week 38: June 01, 2020 - June 8, 2020
In this issue:
- Principal's Message
- @PPSForestPark FaceBook Live Tuesday 06/01 @ 9am
- School Spirit Weeks by Ms. Lizzie
- FlipGrid Science Fair 05/28
- Connect to Kindergarten information 05/27
- Yearbook information
- A letter from Sunita Thaker and Lisa Newlyn
Dear Parents and Families,
I write to you today with a burning in my heart for racial equity and social justice having borne witness to the riots and protests in my hometown, calling for an end to systemic racism. As your Principal, I am compelled to reflect and consider what I do and don't to to stand up as an ally to the black families and black students in our school. Will Smith's viral quote, "Racism isn't getting worse, it's getting filmed" resonates with me this week once again. What can we do, together, to help the students? Our education system is fraught with systemic inequities; that must stop.
As we prepare to celebrate the end of the year, FPE staff are taking time to making current events a teachable moment. Maybe you've wondered how to talk to your 5th grader who sees so much about race, riots and protests on social media. Perhaps you are unsure how to approach the conversation about race with your five and six year olds. Violence is a hard topic to talk about at an early age. However you decide to approach events across the country as we together respond to what happened to George Floyd, know that the Forest Park Staff and I are interested in partnering with you for social justice and racial equity. We're looking for sources of support for lesson planning; these may help you as well:
Join me tomorrow @9am for my first FaceBook Live read aloud. I'll be focusing my time on talking about race and using Julius Lester's book Let's Talk About Race as a step towards a conversation every child needs. Thursday Miss Laura and I invite you to join us for a special lesson on race based on Mr. Lester's book. Use this google meets link Thursday at 2:30pm.
Late last week, PPS released processes and permissions for staff to reenter the building to close up for summer. Mark you calendars for June 11. It'll be drive through delivery of student belonging by schedule. This is our one and only day to come and pick up student work, school supplies, and other belonging left in classrooms. More information will be forthcoming. In the meantime, our schedule will run as follows:
- Families with last names A-M come for pick up between 8am and 11am.
- Families with last names N - Z come for pick up between 12pm and 3pm.
And, don't forget that our End of Year Virtual Assembly and Car Parade are scheduled for Wednesday June 10th, starting at 1pm.
Read on below for more FPE updates.
Mark your calendars for June 10th starting at 1pm for our end of year celebration.
Join me Tuesday 05/26 @ 9am for my FaceBook Live broadcast @PPSForestPark. Whether you're a student or a parent, you can send me your Questions here: https://forms.gle/NbprEXXouzP8i6nt5 I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Hello Forest Park Families! In order to keep our school spirit alive, we will have a Spirit Week, each week, until the end of the school year. See below for the weekly themes and participate by wearing the theme clothes and accessories to your online class meetings with teachers. FPE staff will take screen shots of students participating in the spirit week and parents are welcome to take pictures of their students and send them to me (email@example.com) to be included in a slideshow/video.
Week of June 1- June 5, 2020: Wacky Week
Just like the Wacky Wednesdays we have had in the past, dress silly, wear funny accessories, and do your hair in a silly way. Having some fun together is one way to cope/deal with big feelings. So don’t worry...get wacky!
Week of June 8- June 12: Fantastic Foxes Week
For our last week of school, wear your Forest Park shirts, Forest Park colors, or anything with foxes to your class meetings. You are all Fantastic!
I can’t wait to see you show your school spirit!
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PARTICIATED!!Thank you, Miss Laura for making the Science Fair possible this year!
FPE’s Flip Grid Science Fair was a success
Take a moment and celebrate our entries this year on the Forest Park Library Media Google Classroom. Within the google classroom there is a Science Fair Topic and Post that includes a Flip Grid. The Flip Grid settings have been set for up to 10 mins of recording time.
Thank you FOFPE for hosting our first virtual Kinder Connect last week!
Missed it? Not to worry - you can view all the materials with this link.
Register for Kindergarten Online!
If you have a child who will be 5 years old by September 1, please register for kindergarten! To register, go to pps.net/kinderenroll. The process takes 20-30 minutes and school staff will follow up with you later in the summer. With schools closed, online registration is the easiest option, but paper options will be available soon and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org You don’t need to register if your child attends a PPS Head Start or Pre-Kindergarten program.
Thank you Friends of Forest Park Elementary for hosting our event! You can join our meeting with this link:
Our Forest Park Elementary 2019-2020 Yearbook is still a go! While just over the last quarter of this school year has not gone as expected, it has resulted in a unique time that we are documenting to the best of our ability. The Yearbook will remain a great keepsake for a very, shall we say, “memorable” and historic school year.
We need a little help from you, our wonderful parents!
1. Please email ONE photo of your kid(s) that you would like to be included in the school yearbook from the time school closed (March 13th) until now. We would love to have this time with remote learning/playing/surviving at home documented, as it has been such an important part of this school year! Please keep this to just one photo, as we are hoping to include as many students as we can! Please email your photo to email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Please place your Yearbook order ASAP so we can move forward with this project. A link to order your Yearbook is in this email below. Given the current situation, Yearbooks will likely/hopefully be available for pick-up at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year (if you place an order and will not be living locally in the Fall, Please let us know and we can work on an alternative for getting it to you). **Don't forget to include your Teacher's last name when ordering**
The cost per Yearbook is $15
The deadline to order is June 1st, 2020
Thank you and please email the Yearbook Team directly if you have any questions!
Alexis, Sophie & Dara
A joint letter from Sunita Thaker, Friends of Forest Park Elementary Board Chair, and Lisa Newlyn, Principal:
We've had a great year and so many accomplishments thanks to our amazing staff and parent volunteers: Math Club, OBOB, yearbook, auction, art projects, lunch helpers, Harvest Festival, International Festival, fundraisers and more. These are events that keep students engaged and excited about school; some help raise money for our school and bring the FPE community together. We need to thank our leadership teams of staff and parents working together to make great things happen for kids. Friends of FPE, and Site Council are the two teams that work together and with our Principal to organize the fundraising, strategic direction and safety initiatives (cameras and portables) for the school.
As we say goodbye and wrap up the year, here are some key positions that we need to fill:
FRIENDS OF FPE - There will be four board vacancies after June, 2020. Thank you to Courtney Qualls, Heather Beck, Eleanor Dolev, and Claire Tyler for their dedication to the school this past year. Please send an email to email@example.com by June 5th if you're interested in one of these positions as our monthly meetings will continue through the summer. Our June 11th meeting is our last for this school year and the new Board should be ready for the July meeting.
- AUCTION - The most critical positions are Auction Chairs and Art Chairs. The main responsibilities of both roles is to manage the volunteers, manage communications, oversee all auction activity and step in to help where needed. There are always volunteers who sign up to help, but the Chairs are key roles in making the auction happen.
- Thank you to Mihye Ko and Sheryl Wehner for serving two years as Art Chairs and to Sunita Thaker who has been heavily involved in the last 4 auctions. We are looking for two of each to share the responsibilities as the work begins in September with the auction scheduled for February 27/21. Without these key roles filled by September, we may be forced to cancel the auction. This is our biggest fundraiser and has been a tradition for almost 25 years. The auction has raised $100-250K for our school each year. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in one of these positions.
- SAFETY COMMITTEE - This FOFPE committee meets monthly and leads the charge for general safety initiatives of the campus. This past year, the Safety Committee consisted of Mara Rempel, Cheri Bates and Heidi Hacker and they were busy. They oversaw the installation of 8 new security cameras, worked with PPS to get the portables tested for CO2 levels, had the portables inspected by PPS, ordered a formal structural inspection of the portables by a third party, presented at PPS Board meetings twice, ordered old and current copies of school inspection reports, and are working with Principal Newlyn on plans to get as many teacher classrooms into the building as possible. Please contact Cheri Bates: email@example.com if you're interested in joining this committee.
We thank you for your continued engagement and support of our school teams that make FPE a great place to learn!
Sincerely, Sunita Thaker, FOFPE Board Chair and
Lisa Newlyn, Principal