Looking Ahead:6/14/2023Registration For the 2023-2024 School Year!You can find enrollment information on the Portland Public School website here:
August 29th - First Day of School 1st-5th Grade
September 4th - Labor Day Holiday
September 5th First Day of Kindergarten
PK-12 2023-24 MEAL BENEFITS INFORMATION
Free and reduced-price benefits expire at the end of each school year. Families can apply for benefits on or after July 1, 2023 for the 2023-24 school year online using SchoolCafe at www.schoolcafe.com/pps or download the mobile app. Updated paper meal applications can be downloaded from: https://www.pps.net/Page/2464 on or after July 1, 2023. Families who do not qualify for free or reduced-price meals can use SchoolCafe to monitor transactions, view balance, set up low balance notifications, transfer funds among students and request a refund check. The system is free to use unless a payment is made with a debit/credit card to pay for school meals which is optional.
Eligible families are encouraged to apply for SNAP benefits. Approved SNAP recipients along with households where all students attend approved Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) schools do not need to submit meal applications.
Households receiving SNAP benefits, attending a CEP school and approved for free and reduced-price meals may be eligible for other benefits, like low cost internet and educational-related fee reductions or waivers.
For questions about meal benefits, please email email@example.com or call 503.916.3402.Here Is A Helpful Guide to Your Student Health Questions
Interested in Volunteering at Buckman?
Check out this website for information on completing your background check:
Hello Buckman Families!
I hope this finds you well, and please know that I have thoroughly enjoyed my last two years as principal of this wonderful Buckman community.
Fifth Grade Promotion on Monday, followed by the Kinder Promotion on Wednesday, were both great celebrations! Kinder students, we are all very proud of you, and cannot wait to see you next Fall as First graders–well done!. Fifth graders, congratulations, know that you will always be Buckman Bears, and enjoy middle school and beyond! Thank you for your leadership, your art, and performances this year.
Buckman is a unique community, with a wonderful and dedicated staff. Parents, thank you for all that you do to make Buckman a vibrant, welcoming, and caring community–you’re the BEST! Your commitment to volunteering your time, attending the children’s performances and Fall Conferences, and communicating with teachers make this building truly special. I will leave with many fine and fond memories.
Thank you for your lovely children, and for valuing their arts education!
Have a great Summer Break, and enjoy the 2023-24 school year!
All the Best,
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
The Buckman teachers & Staff want to extend our heartfelt gratitude to each and every one of you for your incredible generosity and for fulfilling our staff wishlist. Your kindness and thoughtfulness have truly touched our hearts. Your generosity serves as a powerful reminder that our work is valued and that we are part of a caring community that recognizes our efforts.
Attending a different elementary school next year?
Attention Kindergarten - 4th Grade families: Please let the office know if you do not plan to return to Buckman next year.Thank you!
Buckman Library Catalog (library books, read-aloud links, research databases, coding, podcasts, audiobooks, ebooks, and more!!)
Many bills are currently waiting to be passed in our Legislature. One of them, Senate Bill 531, covers summer funding through community grants, which typically places like Boys and Girls Club, YMCA, etc, often rely on to provide summer options for kids. You can see the expected loss of summer learning opportunities for your county in this fact sheet from Oregon ASK. If you would like more information or to get involved, check out Oregon ASK.
MCL Summer Reading Program information (slideshow with live links!)
All PPS students are automatically enrolled at the public library through Library Connect (see the second to last slide of the slideshow)
Thank you again for all the support and donations for Buckman this school year.
Students will have access to most PPS Digital Toolkit applications during the summer. Students who enroll in summer school may notice changes in some applications once summer school begins. Most PPS Digital Toolkit applications will remain active throughout the summer. Applications may be temporarily unavailable at the beginning of August as PPS shifts to the 2023-2024 school year. Please note that during the summer months, teachers are not active inside the digital tools and applications. Parents should be aware of what students are doing online. Parents may find the Securly application and digital and civic literacy resources helpful.More information can be found in the End of School Year Technology Guide - Summer 2023.
- Support Buckman through Fred Meyer community rewards programs! Choose Buckman PTA as your Fred Meyer Community Rewards designee, and raise money for Buckman just by grocery shopping. We make about $1000/year - let's try and double that!
- Grab your BottleDrop blue bags and raise money for Buckman all summer long! You can grab blue bags to fill with your empties from the bulletin board across from the office.
- PTA is still looking for a Secretary (2 year term preferred and must be available for 1-2 meetings/mo), as well as an Equity and Inclusion Chair. If interesting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thank you to all Buckman families who participated in a SUN event or after-school class this year. We've had such a blast and loved being in community with you. We're already looking forward to seeing you in the fall!
Goodbye and Farewell!
We wish our outgoing PTA co-presidents all the best as they transition to new adventures, and we thank them for their service.
- Caryn Jones: Being a PTA co-president has been all about community. I have had kids at 6 different PPS schools over the past 14 years, and Buckman by far has the strongest sense of community, from the staff to the parents. It has been rewarding to be involved in supporting the wonderful arts program through the PTA. The community is truly the heart of Buckman, and makes our school a truly special place.
- Shannon Berke: Serving as PTA co-president has been such an opportunity for advocacy and community building. At a time when school budgets are being constantly slashed there is power in organizations designed to serve the student, teacher and parent/caregiver community. I hope we have made a positive difference and contribution in your children's lives. I have made the best of friends and connections I am certain I will have for life.
And we welcome new board members!
Korrin Weldon is our new volunteer coordinator, and John Ritz will be supporting Aron Goffin as PTA co-president. Here are a few words from each of them.
Northwest Children's Theater & School Winter Break Camps
After-School & Camps available through EXPERIMENT Art.Sceince.Curiosity.PDX
VIBE of Portland Winter Break Camps
VIBE of Portland Pride Art Camp
Multnomah Early Child Program Preschool Classes
PSU Sonic Arts and Music Production Academy, sessions starting Oct. 19 (updated)
Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace Open Enrollment, Nov. 1 - Jan. 15
Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-23 Registration
Looking for a job?
PPS is hiring Paraeducators: Click here for more info
Websites to Know...Champions Child Care NewsIf you are interested in care or have additional questions, please contact Site Manager Chanel Bodden at email@example.com.