Principal's Weekly Message4/28/2023
Hello Families & Partners -
We celebrated Culture & Community this week with a spectacular event! Our students created poster & digital presentations reflecting a piece of their cultural identity, families and staff sat together for a wonderful meal provided by TaylorMade Comfort Food catering and we were treated to wonderful DJ, band and dance performances. It was truly magical to be in community together to celebrate our students! Thank you to our SUN Coordinator, Tore James, and our Instructional Specialist, Elise Hughes for leading this effort and to our many staff, family and partners that pitched in to create this wonderful celebration.
Please see below for some important updates!
Summer Acceleration Academy NEW
We are so excited that many of our students who need additional support in grade level reading and math learning will have the opportunity to participate in Summer Acceleration Academy this summer from July 10 - August 4, 2023 from 9 am - 1 pm, with optional afternoon programming until 5:30pm through SUN or RESJ partners. Students from Ockley Green MS will be attending SAA at the Faubion hub site.
Invitations for Summer Acceleration Academy are based mid-year assessments identifying students who need support reaching grade level reading and math during this four week program. Families of students who are invited to participate in Summer Acceleration Academy will receive invitations to enroll online or through the school office by calling or returning a paper form that will be sent home in backpacks.
We feel this is an important opportunity for your student and understand that you may have other students in your house who need summer activities who do not meet the criteria for SAA. The RESJ department will be offering summer activities at many of the SAA sites. Stay tuned for enrollment information that will be coming soon.
8th to 9th Grade Summer Transition Opportunity REMINDER
The Leap into 9th Grade summer program prepares incoming ninth grade students to excel in high school by building a foundation for success before starting high school.
Dates and Times: July 17 - August 4, 2023, Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
@ Benson, Franklin, Grant, Jefferson, McDaniel, Roosevelt
Tobacco Cessation Youth Ambassadors REMINDER
Our Urban League of Portland Youth Specialist, Dasyanique Lewis, is looking for Tobacco Cessation Ambassadors representation across select Middle Schools, including Ockley Green Middle School. See this flyer for more information.
- Camp out Portland for LGBTQ+ Youth
- Current students at OG are eligible for PPS Summer Arts Academy! Students & families can apply by Monday, April 24 one of two ways:
- 1. Complete THIS GOOGLE FORM
- 2. Fill and submit a print application to you. This application should then be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Working On It
These are areas that, when our team is ready to provide additional information, I will provide an update in the section above.
- Outside camera for our staff parking lot to increase safety and reduce vandalism;
- Reconfiguration of spaces for the 23-24 school year with a goal of no large classes meeting in the Portable classrooms;
- Ongoing advocacy of replacement of our Portables;
- Hiring for 2023-24;
- Building the Master Schedule for the 23-24 school year.;
- End of year celebrations.
- May 8 - 12: Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 22 - 26: Outdoor School for 6th Grade Students
- May 29: Memorial Day - No School
- June 9: 8th Grade Promotion @ Roosevelt High School
Ockley Green Middle School