Reminder: Meal distribution at PPS sites starts again March 303/29/2020
Dear PPS Families,
As we go into the third week of our schools being closed because of the coronavirus pandemic, we are pleased to be able to offer meals to our students again, starting Monday, March 30. As we did during the first week of school suspension, we are making sacks of breakfast and lunch available for pickup outside of 15 of our schools. In addition, seven of these sites will now include once-a-week food pantry services for families that need groceries and other items that we previously offered at PPS school SUN sites.
The school sites will be open Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. They are (food pantry sites noted by *, please click here to see days and times):
- Boise-Eliot/Humboldt Elementary - 620 N Fremont Ave
- César Chávez Elementary - 5103 N Willis Blvd
- George Middle School - 10000 N Burr Ave
- Grout Elementary - 3119 SE Holgate Blvd
- Harrison Park School - 2225 SE 87th Ave
- *Lent School - 5105 SE 97th Ave
- *Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary - 4906 NE 6th Ave
- Rigler Elementary - 5401 NE Prescott St
- *Rosa Parks Elementary - 8960 N Woolsey Ave
- *Scott Elementary - 6700 NE Prescott St
- *Sitton Elementary - 9930 N Smith St
- *Woodmere Elementary - 7900 SE Duke St
- Markham Elementary - 10531 SW Capitol Hwy
- Madison at Marshall - 3905 SE 91st Ave
- *Franklin High School - 5405 SE Woodward St
During the first week of the school closure, we distributed 30,600 meals to families over four days. We have been working to replenish our food stock, focusing on items that work best with the grab-and-go model we are using to comply with the evolving, more restrictive guidelines set by health authorities and elected leaders. Our sites are set up with mandated social distancing practices in mind. We ask that our families, as they pick up meals, be mindful of social distancing, too.
Please note that consolidating food pantries into meal distribution sites means pantries are closed at previous locations, even those at schools that are serving as meal pickup locations. Pantries at Bridger, César Chávez, Harrison Park, Kelly, Lane, Madison at Marshall, Roosevelt and Woodlawn have been closed. Pantries offer food distribution from the Oregon Food Bank in conjunction with such community partners as the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization, Latino Network, Portland Parks & Recreation, and Self Enhancement Inc.
The meal sites will also have learning packets available to pick up, and arts packets will become available early in the week.