Hayhurst Families Letter August 24, 20208/27/2020August 24, 2020Dear Hayhurst Parents/Guardians,I hope you all had a relaxing summer break. I am very excited to be returning as your Principal and be part of such a wonderful school community. We are excited to see our returning students again and meet all of our new families! Please read this letter carefully as it contains some important information about the start of the school year.Hayhurst has had staffing changes over the summer. Here is a list of our staff members for 2020-21 School Year:School Secretaries: Kathy Lee and Beth KelleyKindergarten: Martha Heller and Amy Kowalski1st grade: Jessie Chorlton/Julie Brennan, and Kevin Cunningham, and Rachel Love2nd grade: Kathryn Anderson, Gina Biehl, and Jade Stoffan3rd Grade: Johanna Aalto and Melissa Morgan4th Grade: Kelsey Block, Lisa Kane, and Rachel MacDonald5th grade: Deborah Crews, Mary Harbolt, and Jo SwakeSES Grades K-2: Amy ShoemakerGrades K-2 Paraprofessionals: Bree Blevins, Jorie Boatwright, and Johnmichael LahtinenSES Grades 3-5: Lee KameryGrades 3-5 Paraprofessionals: Elena Miller and Sean Larson NguyenP.E.: James WinklerArt: Debi CrawfordMedia/Library: Louise Chambers (Media Specialist) and Laura Jones (Library Assistant)ELL Teacher: Peter PuhvelReading Intervention Specialist: Blake EngeldorffSchool Psychologist: Janine TurleySpecial Education Learning Center: Esther Fischer and Rivkah Ross (half-time)QMHP: Mike Heliski and TBASchool Nurse: TBAOccupational Therapist: Gina BarnesSpecial Education Paraprofessionals: Holly McElhoe and Sue PoffSpeech Language Pathologist: Alexandra Guerra-SundburgCounselor: Roxanne DavidsonCustodians: Robert Durkee and Nathan JohnsCafeteria Supervisor: Cherise LavierWelcome to Hayhurst Kevin, Gina, Lisa, and Rivkah! We are excited you will all be part of our staff! Unfortunately we have to say goodbye to Katherine Eichman and LaPrincea Escovedo who took positions at other schools in our district. They will be missed and I wish them the best of luck in their new schools.Our virtual school start time and end time will remain the same this school year. School begins promptly at 8am and ends at 2:15pm. Attendance will be taken each day for students. We understand that there needs to be some flexibility with this. Details on our virtual learning attendance policy are being worked out by our district.Chromebooks: If you filled out a survey to get a Chromebook or Hotspot for your child on or before Tuesday, August 18th we will have it ready for you to pick up at Hayhurst on Wednesday, August 26th from 10am-2pm. You will drive up to the side of the building outside the cafeteria, please stay in your car and give us your name/your child’s name and we will bring it out to your car. If you let us know that you need a Chromebook or Hot Spot after Tuesday, August 18th we will contact you when we have your devices ready to go. Thank you for your patience. And a huge Thank You to our Library/Media Assistant Laura Jones who has been working tirelessly to inventory and check out the Chromebooks:)!Communications: Many school communications are virtual and we will continue to communicate frequently via the Hayhurst Website, email, Facebook, and our auto caller system. Also please subscribe to receive Hayhurst PTA email communications at www.hayhurstpta.org/email-list.
School Supplies: We have a School Supply Program at Hayhurst supported by our PTA. Once our teachers return back from summer break we will finalize the Virtual Learning School Supply Lists and send more information out to families. We appreciate your patience.The first two weeks of school September 2nd-11th will be a Soft Start. Here is a link to more specific information about Soft Start and the Soft Start Schedules: https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/4/Soft_Start_Schedules_for_Families.pdfPlease check out additional information regarding Fall Reopening Information on the PPS Website: https://www.pps.net/fall2020. This includes a Frequently Asked Questions page on the reopening of schools. For current information about PPS Coronavirus Updates and Resources: https://www.pps.net/Page/150802020-21 MEAL BENEFITS AND ACCOUNT INFORMATIONFamilies Using SchoolCafé to Submit a Free and Reduced-price Meal Application:Families can now submit a new meal application for the 2020-21 school year. Families who do not meet the 2020-21 Federal Income Guideline may qualify using the 2020-21 Oregon Expanded Income Guidelines. Please go to the PPS Nutrition Services website https://www.pps.net/Page/2464 for more information.2020-21 Free & Reduced-Price Meal Benefits - Oregon Expanded Income GuidelinesThe State of Oregon has increased the income guidelines for free meal eligibility in the 2020-21 school year from 185% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) to 300% of FPL. This means more families may qualify for free meals using the Oregon Expanded Income Guidelines instead of the Federal Reduced Income Guidelines. For additional meal benefits information including how to submit a meal application, please refer families to the PPS Nutrition Services website at www.pps.net/nutrition.Families Who Use SchoolCafé to Pay for School Meals:Due to the high volume of refund requests last school year, the autopay setting was disabled. Sign into your SchoolCafe account to either delete your autopay settings to discontinue payments or update your autopay expiration date to continue payments.
- If you set up alert notifications and requested a refund, the alert was deleted. If you would like to continue receiving balance alerts, please setup a new one.
- If there was a credit balance on the student meal account at the end of the school year, it automatically rolled over to the 2020-21 school year for the student(s) to use. If you would like to request a refund or to donate to a student in need, please submit your request via SchoolCafe or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the account had an outstanding/owing balance at the end of the school year, it automatically rolled over to the 2020-21 school year. Families have the following payment options: Send a check to PPS Nutrition Services, 501 N. Dixon St, Portland, OR 97227 Submit an online payment via SchoolCafé. NOTE: There is a 5% fee and a minimum payment of $15 per transaction. NOTE: If the total amount cannot be paid in full, payments can be made in installments. Families will continue to receive notifications until the balance is paid off.
- For general account related questions, please call PPS Nutrition Services at 503.916.3247 or email email@example.com.
- If your student no longer attends Portland Public Schools or you no longer want to use SchoolCafé, you can deactivate your SchoolCafé account anytime by logging in and selecting ‘Deactivate My Account’ under My Profile. To request PPS Nutrition Services disable the account, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope you all had a wonderful summer, and we look forward to seeing you when school begins either during our Soft Start the next two weeks or officially on September 14th. Please mark your calendar for our virtual Back to School Night on Tuesday, September 22nd at 6pm. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.Sincerely,Tara M. Bourland, Hayhurst Principal