Family Newsletter January 8th1/8/2021
Happy New Year! С Новым Годом!
Racial Equity and Social Justice at Kelly
Our Racial Equity and Social Justice leadership team has been meeting and planning staff development for every teacher and support staff at Kelly. We are engaging in learning protocols for having challenging conversations about racial inequality and have started to examine the concepts of racial bias and overcoming racial bias in educational practices. In response to the disturbing events at the Nation’s capitol on Wednesday, we have provided our staff with resources to support students who want to share their thoughts and feelings about the event. We are providing additional resources today to teachers to support any ongoing dialogue that may come up in their classrooms. If you are looking for resources to help you talk about this event with your student, this article may be helpful. Our counselors, Daina Kuzmickas (email@example.com ) and Molly Kangas ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) are also able to support you and your student if you need support.
Schoolwide Social Emotional Monthly Theme
We are excited to share that starting now, classrooms will be exploring a common social emotional theme grounded in our Caring School Community curriculum. This month, classrooms will be taking some time to explore the theme of “Alike and Different”. We believe that supporting students to practice their self awareness and social awareness by learning about how they are alike and different from others is an important skill to support their growth and strengthen our bonds as a community. Classroom teachers and Specialists may be exploring this theme in a variety of ways, so be sure to ask your student about it and stay tuned for a fun wholeschool opportunity to engage in your student’s Seesaw later this month.
- Non-Student Days: Monday, January 18 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Friday, January 29th- Teacher Planning Day
- Material distribution every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm on student days. Remember to wear a face covering and practice physical distancing of at least 6 feet. This occurs when students are in school and not during breaks.
- Kelly PE is giving out free passes to the Columbia Sportswear Outlet! Passes are one per family and good for the month of January. Please ask distribution staff for a pass on Wednesday. Thank you Mr. Pennington for supporting our Kelly families to get outside and stay active!
- Let’s Get Reading Schedule: We are only accepting book returns for the week of January 11th and hope to resume check out the week of January 18th. Stay tuned!
- Grades 4-5 Storytime with Ms. Emily: Any 4th and 5th grade student can join Ms. Emily on Fridays, 11:40am-12pm for storytime. Students can join the Google Meet, ‘kellystorytime’
- Food Pantry is open at Kelly - every Monday, 3-4:30 p.m. The food pantry will be open on Mondays when there is school for students. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
- Growing Gardens Family Newsletter
- ParentVue Verification: please make sure to visit this website to verify your student’s information in ParentVue. This allows you access to attendance, schedule, etc. It also ensures that we have accurate contact information for you.
- Chess for Success: please take a look at this flyer (Russian) if you are interested in signing your student up for an online chess program through our community partner, Chess for Success.
- Grab and Go meal distribution will be here at Kelly Elementary from 3-4:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Meal distribution will be a drive-thru or walk-up service and families can access this through the staff parking lot. Meals are provided FREE for all children, ages 1-18. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
- Thanks to our generous friends at Lyft, The Fund for Portland Public Schools is making available $20-25 in Lyft ride credits to PPS families. In keeping with the guidance set out by the Oregon Governor, we kindly ask that these rides credits are used only to address critical and essential needs. Lyft Code Request Form.
Let’s Get Reading Program and Library Notes
- Looking for more books to read? Ms. Emily has created a video on how to use SORA for online book check out.
- Multnomah County Library - Resources for students in Russian Dual Language program
- Watch any time: Mini storytime video on Youtube(recorded by our Russian speaking library workers):
- Once a month on Thursdays, look here for updates (page currently under construction): Live storytime in Russian on Zoom:
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, beginners: Reading club for beginners (5-7 years old who know the alphabet are and ready to start reading) First level
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, advanced: Reading club advanced(6 years old and older and can read) Second level
- eBooks and audiobooks in Russian
- Multnomah County Library contact: Natalia Alexandra
Bilingual Russian Library Assistant
My schedule: Sun-Thur.
503-988-5734 ext 85734
Я говорю по-русски!
- We are super excited to offer a book bag program to our students! Please watch this video to learn more about our ‘Let’s Get Reading’ program. You can also view this slideshow for more information:
- Let’s Get Reading: Check our website for updates on schedule changes for the week of January 11th. Please come through the parking lot to pick up your book bag and observe masking and social distancing measures.
Counselor Office Hours for Families and Lunch Bunches for Students
- Need to meet with one of our amazing counselors? Visit their ‘Office Hours’
Counselor Kuzmickas (K-2nd grade)
Counselor Kangas (3rd-5th grade)
Family Office Hours
Monday-Wednesday and Friday
Google Meet: dainak-2
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Google Meet: molly3-5
11:15 - 11:35
kellybrookslunch for Ms. Brooks
11:40 - 12:00
kellyvolskylunch for Ms. Volsky
11:35 - 11:55
kellygothardlunch for Ms. Gothard
11:55 - 12:15
kellykundalunch for Ms. Kunda
11:10 - 11:30
kellysosalunch for Ms. Sosa
11:40 - 12:00
kellyduffylunch for Ms. Duffy
11:30 - 11:50
kellysheckelslunch for Ms. Sheckels
12:00 - 12:20
kellyfernandezlunch for Ms. Fernandez
Google Meeting Nickname: kellykangas105
Mondays (3rd Grade): 11:30-12
Wednesdays (4th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Thursdays (5th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Instructional Materials and Devices and Support
- Every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm.
- If you need a device or a hotspot, please call the Kelly Office at 503-916-6350 and speak with Damien or reach out to Charlie Smith, email@example.com
- Live Phone Support in Multiple Languages for technical support
- Somali 503-916-3586
- Chinese 503-916-3585
- Vietnamese 503-916-3584
- Russian 503-916-3583
- English 503-916-3375
- Need a video tutorial to support your child in comprehensive distance learning? Go to https://www.pps.net/familyresources and scroll down to see language specific videos on Clever, Seesaw and more.
Learn about free Oregon Health Care coverage here
Do you need a COVID test?
- COVID Testing - In partnership with Multnomah County Health Department, Latino Network is hosting a COVID testing every Saturday from now until June 2021. People must have symptoms or been in close contact with a diagnosed COVID patient. The phone number for scheduling is 503-988-9093 and is run by Multnomah County.
Need help with rent and mortgage?
- Community Alliance of Tenants webpage.
Don’t forget 211 also has information on rental assistance throughout Oregon.
- Renters’ Rights Hotline, (503)288-0130, M/W/F/Sat, 1pm-5pm & Tues. 6pm-8pm
- For homeowners, the Oregon Homeownership Stabilization Initiative (OSHI) has a COVID-19 Mortgage Assistance Program OHSI's website.
SUN Site Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org or (503)780-9813.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Thursday
email@example.com or 503-847-6742.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Thursday
Extended Day Coordinator
Working Hours: Monday, 12:30pm - 5:00pm (Food Pantry)
Tuesday -Thursday, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday -Thursday
Stay in Touch
- Kelly website
- Facebook Pages
- Kelly Elementary School - please ‘like’ our page!
- Kelly SUN School
- Kelly Elementary PTA
- Instagram Account
- Growing Gardens: @growinggardenspdx
Fall 2020: Visit this site for information about how to access the various digital platforms and resources
Digital Learning: Visit this site for information and videos related to some of our digital tools and platforms (Seesaw, Google Meet, Remind)
COVID-19 Family Resources: check out this page for resources regarding childcare, health care, mental health and food/nutrition.