Family Newsletter January 29th1/29/2021
January 29, 2021 - Kelly Family Newsletter
Together, we will - Together, we grow and thrive - Вместе мы растём и развиваемся.
Celebrating Diversity at Kelly
Thank you to the eleven families who responded to our ‘Celebrating Diversity’ survey! There is still to respond - please click on the links below. Our Community Building committee will review responses so they are better informed about what types of events to plan for our Kelly community. We are also going to reach out to families who expressed an interest in facilitating a parent group - more to come!
Schoolwide Flipgrid “My Family Culture”
92 Kelly Cougars have participated in this wonderful digital community building activity! We have learned so many things about each other through the “My Family Culture” Flipgrid. We are so proud of our richly diverse school of languages, cultures and traditions. Be sure to check it out at: https://flipgrid.com/7ef4901a
2nd Quarter Report Card
We are excited to share with you the new Portland Public Schools’ K-5 Report Card. The report card has been revised by a committee of teachers and parents with one of the main goals being to help families more easily understand how your students are doing as they progress through the elementary grades. Click here to see the new report in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Somali, and Chinese. A highlight of the new report card is that there is now only one marking system for grades (E/M/CM/N/NE) and the +,V,/,-- system is now only for characteristics of a successful learner.
As a school, we track attendance and engagement for our students. Students who are not engaged in a consistent manner with synchronous and/or asynchronous learning, may receive “No Evidence” as a grade. If your student receives this as a grade, please reach out to their teacher to have that conversation. Additionally, the area of ‘Library/Technology’ is a new section on the report card and librarians are responsible for this section. However, librarians were directed by the district to focus on their school’s ‘Let’s Get Reading’ program, which has been super successful at Kelly! For this reason, most students will be marked ‘No Evidence’ in the library section since it is focused primarily on research.
Report cards will be mailed to you on February 5 and you should receive it sometime the following week.
Limited In Person Instruction (LIPI) and Hybrid Instruction
Earlier this week, PPS made the announcement that the 3rd Quarter will remain Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL) with some opportunities for Limited In Person Instruction (LIPI). Students will be invited to attend limited in person instruction based on engagement thus far in the school year. We are starting with a small group size as we have limited staff to support this instruction. Our goal is to begin limited in person instruction towards the end of February.
The district is aiming for hybrid instruction for the 4th Quarter but will continue to monitor COVID numbers in making a final decision. In the next week, you will receive a survey from PPS asking if you are interested in hybrid learning or prefer for your student to remain in distance learning. It is so important that families respond to this survey so your voice can be included in decisions around hybrid models.
- Non-Student Days: Monday, February 15 - President’s Day
- Material distribution every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm on student days. Remember to wear a face covering and practice physical distancing of at least 6 feet. This occurs when students are in school and not during breaks.
- Chromebooks and Hot Spots - if you need to exchange or pick up a device, please call the school to arrange a time to do this or come on Wednesdays, between 9a.m. and 12p.m. to do so.
- Let’s Get Reading Schedule: Book check-out resumes Monday, February 1 with last names N-Z.
- Grades 4-5 Storytime with Ms. Emily: Any 4th and 5th grade student can join Ms. Emily on Fridays, 11:40am-12pm for storytime. Students can join the Google Meet, ‘kellystorytime’
- Food Pantry is open at Kelly - every Monday, 3-4:30 p.m. The food pantry will be open on Mondays when there is school for students. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
- Growing Gardens Family Newsletter
- ParentVue Verification: please make sure to visit this website to verify your student’s information in ParentVue. This allows you access to attendance, schedule, etc. It also ensures that we have accurate contact information for you.
- Chess for Success: please take a look at this flyer (Russian) if you are interested in signing your student up for an online chess program through our community partner, Chess for Success.
- Grab and Go meal distribution will be here at Kelly Elementary from 3-4:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Meal distribution will be a drive-thru or walk-up service and families can access this through the staff parking lot. Meals are provided FREE for all children, ages 1-18. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
Let’s Get Reading Program and Library Notes
- Looking for more books to read? Ms. Emily has created a video on how to use SORA for online book check out.
- Multnomah County Library - Resources for students in Russian Dual Language program
- Watch any time: Mini storytime video on Youtube(recorded by our Russian speaking library workers):
- Once a month on Thursdays, look here for updates (page currently under construction): Live storytime in Russian on Zoom:
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, beginners: Reading club for beginners (5-7 years old who know the alphabet are and ready to start reading) First level
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, advanced: Reading club advanced(6 years old and older and can read) Second level
- eBooks and audiobooks in Russian
- Multnomah County Library contact: Natalia Alexandra
Bilingual Russian Library Assistant
My schedule: Sun-Thur.
503-988-5734 ext 85734
Я говорю по-русски!
Counselor Office Hours for Families and Lunch Bunches for Students
- Need to meet with one of our amazing counselors? Visit their ‘Office Hours’
Counselor Kuzmickas (K-2nd grade)
Counselor Kangas (3rd-5th grade)
Family Office Hours
Monday-Wednesday and Friday
Google Meet: dainak-2
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Google Meet: molly3-5
11:15 - 11:35
kellybrookslunch for Ms. Brooks
11:40 - 12:00
kellyvolskylunch for Ms. Volsky
11:35 - 11:55
kellygothardlunch for Ms. Gothard
11:55 - 12:15
kellykundalunch for Ms. Kunda
11:10 - 11:30
kellysosalunch for Ms. Sosa
11:40 - 12:00
kellyduffylunch for Ms. Duffy
11:30 - 11:50
kellysheckelslunch for Ms. Sheckels
12:00 - 12:20
kellyfernandezlunch for Ms. Fernandez
Google Meeting Nickname: kellykangas105
Mondays (3rd Grade): 11:30-12
Wednesdays (4th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Thursdays (5th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Instructional Materials and Devices and Support
- Every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm. Tech support is only available from 9am-12pm on Wednesdays.
- If you need a device or a hotspot, please call the Kelly Office at 503-916-6350 and speak with Damien or reach out to Charlie Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Phone Support in Multiple Languages for technical support
- Somali 503-916-3586
- Chinese 503-916-3585
- Vietnamese 503-916-3584
- Russian 503-916-3583
- English 503-916-3375
- Need a video tutorial to support your child in comprehensive distance learning? Go to https://www.pps.net/familyresources and scroll down to see language specific videos on Clever, Seesaw and more.
Learn about free Oregon Health Care coverage here
Do you need a COVID test?
- COVID Testing - In partnership with Multnomah County Health Department, Latino Network is hosting a COVID testing every Saturday from now until June 2021. People must have symptoms or been in close contact with a diagnosed COVID patient. The phone number for scheduling is 503-988-9093 and is run by Multnomah County.
Need help with rent and mortgage?
- Community Alliance of Tenants webpage.
Don’t forget 211 also has information on rental assistance throughout Oregon.
- Renters’ Rights Hotline, (503)288-0130, M/W/F/Sat, 1pm-5pm & Tues. 6pm-8pm
- For homeowners, the Oregon Homeownership Stabilization Initiative (OSHI) has a COVID-19 Mortgage Assistance Program OHSI's website.
SUN Site Manager
email@example.com or (503)780-9813.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Friday
firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-847-6742.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Thursday
Extended Day Coordinator
Working Hours: Monday, 12:30pm - 5:00pm (Food Pantry)
Tuesday -Thursday, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday -Thursday
Stay in Touch
- Kelly website
- Facebook Pages
- Kelly Elementary School - please ‘like’ our page!
- Kelly SUN School
- Kelly Elementary PTA
- Instagram Account
- Growing Gardens: @growinggardenspdx
Fall 2020: Visit this site for information about how to access the various digital platforms and resources
Digital Learning: Visit this site for information and videos related to some of our digital tools and platforms (Seesaw, Google Meet, Remind)
COVID-19 Family Resources: check out this page for resources regarding childcare, health care, mental health and food/nutrition.