Family Newsletter February 19th2/19/2021
February 19, 2021 - Kelly Family Newsletter
Together, we will - Together, we grow and thrive - Вместе мы растём и развиваемся.
Families, you should have received an email last Friday, February 12 asking you to complete a survey regarding hybrid options for this school year. It is important to the district’s planning for families to complete this survey. If you did not receive the email, please email the Kelly Principal, Ms. Fish - firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the name of each student attending Kelly Elementary and she will respond with the appropriate survey link. The survey is open through Thursday, February 25. If you have questions regarding the hybrid models, please visit the district website to view this FAQ.
Connect to Kindergarten
It is that time of year to enroll your student for kindergarten at Kelly for the 2021-22 school year. Please take a moment to visit the ‘Kindergarten’ tab on the Kelly website to watch a video about kindergarten at Kelly Elementary. Or click here to watch.
Parent Workshop: At Home Learning Strategies
Parent Workshop: At-Home Learning Strategies linked here and translated into the supported languages. The Workshop will be on Friday, February 26, 2021. If you have questions, please reach out to Nga-My Vuong, Business Operations Analyst, OTL, email@example.com
Limited In Person Instruction (LIPI)
Students will be invited to attend limited in person instruction based on engagement thus far in the school year. We are starting with a small group size as we have limited staff to support this instruction. Our goal is to begin limited in person instruction at the beginning of March.
School Choice Fair - Being Rescheduled
The district hosted a virtual school choice fair on Thursday, February 18 via Zoom. Families were able to attend to learn more about choice programs across the district as well as the application and lottery process. The district knows that not all families were able to attend. They are working to schedule another time and we will share that information once it is decided.
Black Excellence in Portland Project
I’m thrilled to share our first student led interview with a local Black leader in Portland. This project was designed with students to learn more about Black leaders in Portland who are examples of excellence. As an additional way to celebrate Black History month, our students wanted to learn about and share the work of present day Black leaders who are making Portland a more inclusive and positive place. We will be sharing the link to the recorded interviews below. We encourage you to watch with your students and learn about these amazing people.
Director of Mathematics for Portland Public Schools
Interview with Jerome Townsend, Principal at Bridlemile Elementary
Coming soon- Zoe Holman, Senior at Franklin High School
Successful Schools Survey for Students and Families
Families: There is also a survey for families to share their perspective on Kelly school climate. Go to surveys.panoramaed.com/portlandor/ppsfamily and select Kelly to share your input. Our leadership team is looking forward to hearing from as many Kelly families as possible to inform our school improvement work. We hope to get 50% family participation for this survey.
Schoolwide SEL Theme: Kindness
We are celebrating Kindness this month at Kelly. We hope you and your student find ways to talk about the importance of kindness and ways we can strengthen our community through kindness. This month’s Flipgrid is about Kindness. Check it out with your student. Students will be able to submit one video but can respond to as many students as they would like to. Videos and comments are moderated by Kelly admin each day, so it may take a day to load your video. I can’t wait to see our Kelly Cougars share about Kindness https://flipgrid.com/9e8897bb
- Material distribution every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm on student days. Remember to wear a face covering and practice physical distancing of at least 6 feet. This occurs when students are in school and not during breaks.
- Chromebooks and Hot Spots - if you need to exchange or pick up a device, please call the school to arrange a time to do this or come on Wednesdays, between 9a.m. and 12p.m. to do so.
- Growing Gardens Newsletter - pick up a microgreens kit on March 10 during meal distribution
- Let’s Get Reading Schedule: See website for which last name group has LGT next week
- Grades 4-5 Storytime with Ms. Emily: Any 4th and 5th grade student can join Ms. Emily on Fridays, 11:40am-12pm for storytime. Students can join the Google Meet, ‘kellystorytime’
- Food Pantry is open at Kelly - every Monday, 3-4:30 p.m. The food pantry will be open on Mondays when there is school for students. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
- Grab and Go meal distribution will be here at Kelly Elementary from 3-4:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Meal distribution will be a drive-thru or walk-up service and families can access this through the staff parking lot. Meals are provided FREE for all children, ages 1-18. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
Let’s Get Reading Program and Library Notes
- Looking for more books to read? Ms. Emily has created a video on how to use SORA for online book check out.
- Multnomah County Library - Resources for students in Russian Dual Language program
- Watch any time: Mini storytime video on Youtube(recorded by our Russian speaking library workers):
- Once a month on Thursdays, look here for updates (page currently under construction): Live storytime in Russian on Zoom:
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, beginners: Reading club for beginners (5-7 years old who know the alphabet are and ready to start reading) First level
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, advanced: Reading club advanced(6 years old and older and can read) Second level
- eBooks and audiobooks in Russian
- Multnomah County Library contact: Natalia Alexandra
Bilingual Russian Library Assistant
My schedule: Sun-Thur.
503-988-5734 ext 85734
Я говорю по-русски!
Counselor Office Hours for Families and Lunch Bunches for Students
- Need to meet with one of our amazing counselors? Visit their ‘Office Hours’
Counselor Kuzmickas (K-2nd grade)
Counselor Kangas (3rd-5th grade)
Family Office Hours
Monday-Wednesday and Friday
Google Meet: dainak-2
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Google Meet: molly3-5
11:15 - 11:35
kellybrookslunch for Ms. Brooks
11:40 - 12:00
kellyvolskylunch for Ms. Volsky
11:35 - 11:55
kellygothardlunch for Ms. Gothard
11:55 - 12:15
kellykundalunch for Ms. Kunda
11:10 - 11:30
kellysosalunch for Ms. Sosa
11:40 - 12:00
kellyduffylunch for Ms. Duffy
11:30 - 11:50
kellysheckelslunch for Ms. Sheckels
12:00 - 12:20
kellyfernandezlunch for Ms. Fernandez
Google Meeting Nickname: kellykangas105
Mondays (3rd Grade): 11:30-12
Wednesdays (4th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Thursdays (5th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Instructional Materials and Devices and Support
- Every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm. Tech support is only available from 9am-12pm on Wednesdays.
- If you need a device or a hotspot, please call the Kelly Office at 503-916-6350 and speak with Damien or reach out to Charlie Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Phone Support in Multiple Languages for technical support
- Somali 503-916-3586
- Chinese 503-916-3585
- Vietnamese 503-916-3584
- Russian 503-916-3583
- English 503-916-3375
- Need a video tutorial to support your child in comprehensive distance learning? Go to https://www.pps.net/familyresources and scroll down to see language specific videos on Clever, Seesaw and more.
Learn about free Oregon Health Care coverage here
As of Feb 8,2021 The Oregon Workers Relief Fund (OWRF) is again receiving financial aid applications (up to $ 1720). For more information about this program follow the link:
A partir de febrero 8, 2021 el Programa de Alivio Laboral de Oregon (OWRF) esta recibiendo nuevamente solicitudes de apoyo económico (hasta $1720). Para mayor información sobre este programa consulte:
Need help with rent and mortgage?
- Community Alliance of Tenants webpage.
Don’t forget 211 also has information on rental assistance throughout Oregon.
- Renters’ Rights Hotline, (503)288-0130, M/W/F/Sat, 1pm-5pm & Tues. 6pm-8pm
- For homeowners, the Oregon Homeownership Stabilization Initiative (OSHI) has a COVID-19 Mortgage Assistance Program OHSI's website.
SUN Site Manager
email@example.com or (503)780-9813.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Friday
firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-847-6742.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Thursday
Extended Day Coordinator
Working Hours: Monday, 12:30pm - 5:00pm (Food Pantry)
Tuesday -Thursday, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday -Thursday
Stay in Touch
- Kelly website
- Facebook Pages
- Kelly Elementary School - please ‘like’ our page!
- Kelly SUN School
- Kelly Elementary PTA
- Instagram Account
- Growing Gardens: @growinggardenspdx
Fall 2020: Visit this site for information about how to access the various digital platforms and resources
Digital Learning: Visit this site for information and videos related to some of our digital tools and platforms (Seesaw, Google Meet, Remind)
COVID-19 Family Resources: check out this page for resources regarding childcare, health care, mental health and food/nutrition.