Family Newsletter March 12th3/12/2021
March 12, 2021 - Kelly Family Newsletter
Together, we will - Together, we grow and thrive - Вместе мы растём и развиваемся.
The district has created a site to help address questions and share information related to schools reopening this Spring. The site is www.pps.net/reopen2021 . Please visit this site for more information.
Information regarding Hybrid Instruction at Kelly
We know families have a lot of questions about hybrid instruction. I want to ensure that I am only communicating information that is factual. I hope this will help reduce some confusion. Here is what we know about hybrid instruction:
- Hybrid instruction will be a combination of in-person instruction for 2 hours and 15 minutes and a combo of asynchronous and synchronous instruction at home. In person instruction will focus on reading, math, and social emotional learning with opportunities for movement breaks and outside time.
- Hybrid instruction will occur on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Wednesdays will be asynchronous learning days for all students and a planning day for teachers.
- We will have 2 cohorts: an AM Cohort and a PM Cohort. The times for the AM cohort are 8:00-10:15 a.m. and the times for the PM cohort are 12:15-2:30 p.m. If you are eligible for PPS bus transportation to Kelly and attend hybrid, bus transportation will be provided.
- Without the required use of simulcast, we cannot guarantee that your child will continue with the same teacher whether they are in hybrid instruction or comprehensive distance learning (CDL).
- We are waiting for the final bargaining agreement between the district and the teacher’s union before we can communicate the start date and who your student’s teacher will be.
- If you want to change your survey response for your student(s), please call the Kelly office at 503-916-6350. Damien and Yelena will need the following information when you call: your name, student name, grade level, teacher name and if you are opting for hybrid instruction or comprehensive distance learning.
Limited In Person Instruction (LIPI)
Because students are returning to school after Spring Break, we are ending our Limited In Person Instruction. The last day for LIPI will be Friday, March 19. LIPI will not resume after Spring Break.
Apply Now for our Russian Immersion Program
We are lucky to have a choice program here at Kelly: a Russian Immersion program that is open to all students (non-Russian speaking and Russian speaking). We are aiming for a balanced enrollment between native Russian speaking students and non-native Russian speaking students. Here is information about our Russian Immersion program at Kelly Elementary. English Russian
Southeast Guiding Coalition (SEGC) Update
The start of Phase 2 of the Enrollment Balancing process has been delayed until at least after April 15th.
The Board of Education met on February 22 to discuss phase 2 of PPS’ enrollment and program balancing. Here is the “February 22, 2021 Work Session Agenda.” The focus of the 3-hour work session was to:
- Identify the most critical issue(s) the School Board believes are the most important to address in the next 12-months on Enrollment and Program Balancing.
- Identify the policies that require clarification, so that the PPS school district staff (and the Coalition) can effectively and clearly complete Phase 2 of its work.
- Clarify what PPS believes to be the most important focus areas in the next 12-months.
- Articulate the successes and opportunities they look to see executed as we plan student, family, school and community engagement on Enrollment and Program Balancing.
District staff are continuing to engage with the Board to finalize the Phase 2 scope of work with a commitment to center the lived experiences of our students and their families, especially our communities of color.
An update of the Phase 2 scope and schedule will be shared in April.
A full archive of Southeast Guiding Coalition (SEGC) meeting notes, presentations, meeting videos and links are available on the PPS Enrollment and Program Balancing website.
Successful Schools Survey for Students and Families
Families: There is also a survey for families to share their perspective on Kelly school climate. Go to surveys.panoramaed.com/portlandor/ppsfamily and select Kelly to share your input. Our leadership team is looking forward to hearing from as many Kelly families as possible to inform our school improvement work. We hope to get 50% family participation for this survey.
Schoolwide SEL Theme: Friendship
- Material distribution every Wednesday, 9am-12pm and 1-4pm on student days. Remember to wear a face covering and practice physical distancing of at least 6 feet. This occurs when students are in school and not during breaks.
- Chromebooks and Hot Spots - if you need to exchange or pick up a device, please call the school to arrange a time to do this or come on Wednesdays, between 9a.m. and 12p.m. to do so.
- Let’s Get Reading Schedule: See website for which last name group has LGT next week
- Grades 4-5 Storytime with Ms. Emily: Any 4th and 5th grade student can join Ms. Emily on Fridays, 11:40am-12pm for storytime. Students can join the Google Meet, ‘kellystorytime’
- Food Pantry is open at Kelly - every Monday, 3-4:30 p.m. The food pantry will be open on Mondays when there is school for students. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
- Grab and Go meal distribution will be here at Kelly Elementary from 3-4:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Meal distribution will be a drive-thru or walk-up service and families can access this through the staff parking lot. Meals are provided FREE for all children, ages 1-18. Please wear a mask and follow all COVID guidelines and procedures.
Let’s Get Reading Program and Library Notes
- Looking for more books to read? Ms. Emily has created a video on how to use SORA for online book check out.
- Multnomah County Library - Resources for students in Russian Dual Language program
- Watch any time: Mini storytime video on Youtube(recorded by our Russian speaking library workers):
- Once a month on Thursdays, look here for updates (page currently under construction): Live storytime in Russian on Zoom:
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, beginners: Reading club for beginners (5-7 years old who know the alphabet are and ready to start reading) First level
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, advanced: Reading club advanced(6 years old and older and can read) Second level
- eBooks and audiobooks in Russian
- Multnomah County Library contact: Natalia Alexandra
Bilingual Russian Library Assistant
My schedule: Sun-Thur.
503-988-5734 ext 85734
Я говорю по-русски!
Counselor Office Hours for Families and Lunch Bunches for Students
- Need to meet with one of our amazing counselors? Visit their ‘Office Hours’
Counselor Kuzmickas (K-2nd grade)
Counselor Kangas (3rd-5th grade)
Family Office Hours
Monday-Wednesday and Friday
Google Meet: dainak-2
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Google Meet: molly3-5
11:15 - 11:35
kellybrookslunch for Ms. Brooks
11:40 - 12:00
kellyvolskylunch for Ms. Volsky
11:35 - 11:55
kellygothardlunch for Ms. Gothard
11:55 - 12:15
kellykundalunch for Ms. Kunda
11:10 - 11:30
kellysosalunch for Ms. Sosa
11:40 - 12:00
kellyduffylunch for Ms. Duffy
11:30 - 11:50
kellysheckelslunch for Ms. Sheckels
12:00 - 12:20
kellyfernandezlunch for Ms. Fernandez
Google Meeting Nickname: kellykangas105
Mondays (3rd Grade): 11:30-12
Wednesdays (4th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Thursdays (5th Grade): 11:15-11:45
Baseball anyone? SUN is organizing a virtual group with Friends of Baseball for this Spring. We have 20 spots available! If you are interested contact Cristina at (503)780-9813 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about free Oregon Health Care coverage here
As of Feb 8,2021 The Oregon Workers Relief Fund (OWRF) is again receiving financial aid applications (up to $ 1720). For more information about this program follow the link:
A partir de febrero 8, 2021 el Programa de Alivio Laboral de Oregon (OWRF) esta recibiendo nuevamente solicitudes de apoyo económico (hasta $1720). Para mayor información sobre este programa consulte:
Need help with rent and mortgage?
- Community Alliance of Tenants webpage.
Don’t forget 211 also has information on rental assistance throughout Oregon.
- Renters’ Rights Hotline, (503)288-0130, M/W/F/Sat, 1pm-5pm & Tues. 6pm-8pm
- For homeowners, the Oregon Homeownership Stabilization Initiative (OSHI) has a COVID-19 Mortgage Assistance Program OHSI's website.
SUN Site Manager
email@example.com or (503)780-9813.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Friday
firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-847-6742.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Thursday
Extended Day Coordinator
Working Hours: Monday, 12:30pm - 5:00pm (Food Pantry)
Tuesday -Thursday, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday -Thursday
Stay in Touch
- Kelly website
- Facebook Pages
- Kelly Elementary School - please ‘like’ our page!
- Kelly SUN School
- Kelly Elementary PTA
- Instagram Account
- Growing Gardens: @growinggardenspdx
Fall 2020: Visit this site for information about how to access the various digital platforms and resources
Digital Learning: Visit this site for information and videos related to some of our digital tools and platforms (Seesaw, Google Meet, Remind)
COVID-19 Family Resources: check out this page for resources regarding childcare, health care, mental health and food/nutrition.