Family Newsletter March 19th3/19/2021
March 19, 2021 - Kelly Family Newsletter
Together, we will - Together, we grow and thrive - Вместе мы растём и развиваемся.
REMINDER: Spring Break the week of March 22-26
Thank you for reaching out and staying connected during this time of change. Please stay tuned to communications via Remind and email so you are aware of the upcoming changes and can support your child’s transition into our new model of CDL or Hybrid. We will be working with teachers the week of the 29th to train all staff in new safety protocols to keep our students and staff healthy at Kelly. We are working on a date early that week for a virtual parent meeting to share the new safety protocols and routines for arrival, dismissal, when to keep you student home from school and much more. An invitation to that event will be coming Monday, March 29th.
The district has created a site to help address questions and share information related to schools reopening this Spring. The site is www.pps.net/reopen2021 . Please visit this site for more information.
Schedule for the week of March 29th
K-5 students will have asynchronous work for all subjects in their Seesaw classrooms each day of this week. Kindergarten and 1st graders will receive live instruction (hybrid with teacher or CDL with teacher) either Thursday or Friday of that week. We will send out the schedule to Kindergarten and 1st grade families by Tuesday, March 30th.
CDL and Hybrid Assignments
Earlier this afternoon, emails were sent to families indicating whether your student would continue in comprehensive distance learning or begin in the hybrid learning model as well as the assigned teacher. As we created these cohorts, we used parent responses to the 4th quarter survey that was sent out by the district several weeks ago as well as updated responses from families. If you would like to move your student back to CDL, please use this form. At this time, we cannot move students to the hybrid cohort
Apply Now for our Russian Immersion Program
We are lucky to have a choice program here at Kelly: a Russian Immersion program that is open to all students (non-Russian speaking and Russian speaking). We are aiming for a balanced enrollment between native Russian speaking students and non-native Russian speaking students. Here is information about our Russian Immersion program at Kelly Elementary. English Russian
Food Pantry Update
Because we have students returning to school in a hybrid model and we want to ensure we are able to follow and maintain COVID safety protocols, we are moving the Kelly Food Pantry to Wednedsays. The Kelly Food Pantry will be closed the week of Spring Break and will reopen Wednesday, March 31, 3-4 p.m.
- Material distribution: We will resume on April 7
- Chromebooks and Hot Spots - if you need to exchange or pick up a device, please call the school to arrange a time to do this or come on Wednesdays, between 9a.m. and 12p.m. to do so.
- Let’s Get Reading Schedule: We will resume on April 7; new times to be announced.
- Come support Latino Network - Kelly SUN School at the McCommunity Night on Monday, March 22nd, 4:00pm - 7:00pm, at McDonald’s located at 5613 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97266 (corner of 82nd Ave and Foster Rd) Part of the proceeds will go to Kelly SUN. Join us and support our Kelly families.
Let’s Get Reading Program and Library Notes
- Looking for more books to read? Ms. Emily has created a video on how to use SORA for online book check out.
- Multnomah County Library - Resources for students in Russian Dual Language program
- Watch any time: Mini storytime video on Youtube(recorded by our Russian speaking library workers):
- Once a month on Thursdays, look here for updates (page currently under construction): Live storytime in Russian on Zoom:
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, beginners: Reading club for beginners (5-7 years old who know the alphabet are and ready to start reading) First level
- Russian reading Support, first Sunday of the month, advanced: Reading club advanced(6 years old and older and can read) Second level
- eBooks and audiobooks in Russian
- Multnomah County Library contact: Natalia Alexandra
Bilingual Russian Library Assistant
My schedule: Sun-Thur.
503-988-5734 ext 85734
Я говорю по-русски!
Baseball anyone? SUN is organizing a virtual group with Friends of Baseball for this Spring. We have 20 spots available! If you are interested contact Cristina at (503)780-9813 or email@example.com.
DIAPERS ARE HERE!!! Do you have little ones that are still running around in diapers? If you need any support contact Cristina at (503)780-9813 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need any help during spring break contact Cristina at (503)780-9813 or email@example.com
Learn about free Oregon Health Care coverage here
As of Feb 8,2021 The Oregon Workers Relief Fund (OWRF) is again receiving financial aid applications (up to $ 1720). For more information about this program follow the link:
A partir de febrero 8, 2021 el Programa de Alivio Laboral de Oregon (OWRF) esta recibiendo nuevamente solicitudes de apoyo económico (hasta $1720). Para mayor información sobre este programa consulte:
Need help with rent and mortgage?
- Community Alliance of Tenants webpage.
Don’t forget 211 also has information on rental assistance throughout Oregon.
- Renters’ Rights Hotline, (503)288-0130, M/W/F/Sat, 1pm-5pm & Tues. 6pm-8pm
- For homeowners, the Oregon Homeownership Stabilization Initiative (OSHI) has a COVID-19 Mortgage Assistance Program OHSI's website.
SUN Site Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org or (503)780-9813.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Friday
email@example.com or 503-847-6742.
Working hours: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m., Monday -Thursday
Extended Day Coordinator
Working Hours: Monday, 12:30pm - 5:00pm (Food Pantry)
Tuesday -Thursday, 9:00am - 2:00pm, Tuesday -Thursday
Stay in Touch
- Kelly website
- Facebook Pages
- Kelly Elementary School - please ‘like’ our page!
- Kelly SUN School
- Kelly Elementary PTA
- Instagram Account
- Growing Gardens: @growinggardenspdx
Fall 2020: Visit this site for information about how to access the various digital platforms and resources
Digital Learning: Visit this site for information and videos related to some of our digital tools and platforms (Seesaw, Google Meet, Remind)
COVID-19 Family Resources: check out this page for resources regarding childcare, health care, mental health and food/nutrition.