Mental Health and Substance Use Resources for Students and Families5/28/2021
Dear PPS Community,
As this is the last week of Mental Health Awareness month, we want to ensure that everyone has information about our continuum of care for students who experience mental health and substance use challenges. We also want to highlight services for our BIPOC students and families.
The mission of Portland Public Schools’ Recovery Education and Action for Healthy Living (REAHL) program is to empower students who face addiction and mental health challenges to actively engage in their education, personal growth, development and lifelong success. The REAHL Initiative has four components: Prevention, Intervention, Treatment and Recovery Supports.
Next Week: Suicide Prevention Workshop: June 2 is for youth 12-18, focused on peer led suicide prevention and intervention. As youth launch into summer, let’s make sure they have the skills to connect themselves and their peers to support.
Resources available during the summer:
- Vibing & Thriving: A space for Black, Brown, and Indigenous POC PPS students (ages 8-18) for healing, hanging, and holding each other in fierce love. Available all summer.
- Youth Resource App
- Native American/Indigenous Parenting Class through NARA
- Lines for Life Racial Equity Support Line is a service led and staffed by people with lived experience of racism.
- PPS Family Supports Website has many additional resources and will have summer information updated in the coming weeks.
- Prevention Strategies & Healthy Decision Making
Resources available during the school year:
- Video Intro to Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors
- Connect to Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors Support
- Mental Wellness Resources
Everyone is struggling in some way. You aren’t alone. We care about your wellness. There are people and community organizations available for you and your family to access throughout the summer. Your school counselor, school social worker, or school psychologist can also help connect you to mental wellness supports and services at your school or in the community.