Message from Principal Skyles: Madison Family Update - March 20, 20203/20/2020
March 20, 2020 - Madison Update
We want to be sure that you remain up to date on all of the most current information. As I find out more I will provide you with additional details. Please note that the topics below that are bold have been updated or are new topics added to the list from the previous update.
1. Seniors and Graduation: The Oregon Department of Education will be making an announcement in the next several days that will provide clarity for families and schools. Once this announcement is made we will have a clearer picture of how PPS and Madison will proceed. Questions regarding credit recovery for current seniors and all students are being worked on but nothing is finalized yet.
2. School After Spring Break: I know this is a major question and concern for many. The district is still in the planning process. Questions around: access to the internet, access to technology, how students receiving Special Education and/or English Language Learner services will be supported, AP testing, Dual Credit students, will be addressed in the District-wide plan that is being developed.
3. Teacher Communications and Enrichment activities: Some communications from staff could be a check-in to just say hello, a reminder of assignments that have been given pre March 23, 2020, enrichment activities, and/or study reminders for the current curriculum that was being covered. Students can email their teachers directly. Please note that the assignments are not being graded at this point in time and there are no extra credit options.
3. Food Resources: Madison (at the Marshall Campus) will continue to serve as a food hub. We will be closed for Spring Break but will reopen March 30th and stay open Monday-Friday from 11-1 until April 28th. More information can be found at pps.net regarding other Food Hubs in the district. Scott and Rigler are schools providing the same services in NE Portland. The Oregon Food Bank will also be using Madison (Marshall Campus) as a distribution site. We will send out future dates and times.
4. School year being extended: There is no concrete information regarding the school year being extended at this time. Once I receive information directly from the Oregon Department of Education and PPS District Office I will pass that along.
5. Prom: We are working with the venue to secure a date in late May. We are finalizing the contract and will send a new date once we have a signed contract.
6. School Events, Spring Sports and Activities: The OSAA is still in the planning process. All school events have been suspended until after April 28th. I do not have specifics regarding any event at this time. We will begin to work with staff in April to look at what events can be rescheduled and possible dates. We will also send out a list of events that unfortunately will not be rescheduled.
7. AP Exams: The College Board, who administers the exams nationality, has been sending out communications to teachers about possible testing solutions. I can say that as of right now March 20, 2020, the exams will happen. AP students will have an opportunity to test - please note that Madison students were already scheduled to take their exams off site this year. The details are still being worked out. Once there is a final decision Madison will work to ensure we are supporting our students. If you have a student who is in an AP class they should be using the online recourse to continue to prepare. If they have questions they should contact their teacher directly. Here is a link to The College Board website: https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/
9. Mental Health Support:
10. Tips For Social Distancing, and talking to students about COVID-19 :https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school- climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/talking-to-children-about-covid-19- (coronavirus)-a-parent-resource
11. If you need to borrow a computer or need assistance with internet access:
12. Volunteer and Donation options: (we will add to this list as more options become available:
Please take the time to look through the entire site created by PPS for more information on current supports and the most updated information on PPS’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. https://www.pps.net/coronavirus
If you have specific questions and or need support please let me know.
Madison High School