Moderate to high heat risk is forecast for the Portland Metro Area7/24/2022
Dear PPS Community,
A moderate to high heat risk is forecast for the Portland Metro area starting Monday, July 25 through Thursday, July 28. During this week, we will make every attempt to make decisions about summer program pauses and schedule changes by early morning. The health and safety of our students, staff, and partners is our top priority.
We will follow our regular year-round decision-making process to pause programming as we do for other inclement weather. District staff members collect weather-related data from a range of reliable sources. With this information a network of leaders decides whether any program pauses or schedule changes will occur, and arranges for that decision to be posted on the PPS website.
Here are the safety measures we implement to provide for a safe, productive learning environment and to prevent heat related illness:
- The district’s custodial and maintenance staff will employ strategies that assist in the productive airflow in buildings. These strategies include operating HVAC systems and opening windows in the early morning to allow cool air to flow through buildings.
- Staff may identify areas inside the building or outdoor spaces that are cooler and move students to these areas.
Hydration/Monitoring for Heat related Illness
- Students and staff are encouraged to bring their own water bottles and stay well hydrated, drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- Staff will closely monitor students for signs of heat-related illness.
- While most district’s buses are not air-conditioned, we will do our best to keep buses cool by opening windows for airflow.
- Students will also be encouraged to hydrate with water prior to boarding the bus. Water will be available on buses for students. Students will be held inside the school until buses arrive and it is time to board.
- During periods of excessive heat, outside activities will be limited, relocated or canceled.
If you decide to keep your student at home during this time, please know that they will not be penalized and we will welcome them back in our summer program when they are able to attend.
If you and your family need relief from the heat, here is some information you may find helpful:
Misting stations operations at the following City of Portland Parks Tuesday through Thursday
Walker Stadium (4808 SE 92nd Ave, Portland, OR 972660
NE 112th Ave & NE Russell St, Portland, OR 97220
Mt. Scott Community Center
5530 SE 72nd Ave, Portland, OR 97206
East Portland Community Center
740 SE 106th Ave, Portland, OR 97216
SE 67th Avenue and Harney Street
7900 NE Siskiyou St, Portland, OR 97213
East Portland Community Center Cooling Shelter
Medford Building Cooling Shelter
The Portland Building Cooling Shelter
We will continue to monitor weather forecasts throughout the time of the heat advisory and will be communicating any changes as soon as decisions are made.
The PPS website will be updated with information as necessary: www.pps.net.
Thank you and please drink plenty of water and stay safe.
PPS Summer Programs