SES Messenger for 4/7/20224/7/2022
04/07/22 School Messenger
- School News (NEW)
- Upcoming Dates (NEW)
- Websites to Know
- Treating the SES Staff - Friday 4/15 (NEW)
- 8th grade speeches begin Tuesday April 12 (NEW)
- Dear parents of rising 6th graders (NEW)
- Volunteer Spots Open: SES Walk Run Move — May 13! (NEW)
- Calling all Sunnyside Families: Seeking auction "getaways" (NEW)
- The results are in for Read-A-Thon 2022 (NEW)
- PPS-Approved Fliers (NEW)
- SES Garden Day: Saturday April 23, 9am-1pm
- Vaccine clinics before exclusion day (April 20th)
- Children’s Health Fair: Saturday, April 16
- SES PTSA News: PTSA needs volunteers
School News (NEW)
We recently learned that it will take longer than anticipated for our drinking fountain installation. We need students to bring water bottles please so that they can use the water coolers. We could also use some donations from parents of water bottles, please bring any donations to the front office.
We are in desperate need of playground balls. If you can donate a few new balls to the collection, that would be much appreciated!! Please bring any donations to the front office.
Dear parents of rising 6th graders: We are excited to host you and your students to a preview of middle school at Sunnyside Environmental. Please join us on Wednesday April 20th for an afternoon of information about the middle school program, a tour of the middle school classrooms by current middle schoolers, and a chance to meet administration and counselors. The students are welcome to join us in the auditorium for a snack and a meet and greet with one another at 3:15. The informational session will start at 3:30.
We need two parents to volunteer to help as Kinder coordinators for the summer and right before the school year starts. We would love for families to host a few playdates in July and then on August 23rd help host a social for our incoming Kinders. Please contact Alix & Eryn if you are interested.
Eryn & Alix
Upcoming Dates (NEW)
View the full SES calendar here.
Thu, April 7 End of Quarter Thu, April 7, 6:30-8:30pm Middle School Dance Fri, April 8 NO SCHOOL (Teacher planning day) Fri-Sun, April 8-10 Spring Westwind Family Camp Mon, April 11, 3:15pm Garden Club Mon, April 18, 3:15pm Garden Club Wed, April 20, 3:30pm Informational session for rising 6th grade families Wed, April 20, 6:30pm SES PTSA board meeting (open to all) Sat, April 23, 9am-1pm SES Garden Day Mon, April 25, 3:15pm Garden Club
Websites to Know
- Can My Child Go to School Today?
- COVID-19 Exclusion Guidance for K-12
- OHSU K-12 COVID-19 Screening Program information
- SES attendance form
- SES Lost & Found submission form and photo gallery
- Lunch volunteer signup
- Sunnyside School Page
- SES PTSA website and SES PTSA meeting link
To help keep things working smoothly, here are some gentle reminders from the front office:
Have your students wear coats and bring an extra change of clothes.
Do not park in no-parking zones or crosswalks.
Walk or carry anything wheeled while on school grounds.
Volunteer during lunch to help keep kids distanced.
Do not idle your car engine while waiting to pick up students.
- Come to the front door and buzz if your student arrives late or leaves early.
Treating the SES Staff - Friday 4/15 (NEW)
We want to continue to show our love and appreciation for SES staff on a regular basis. Next Friday, April 15th, we ask that Grade K-2 families bring in baked goodies to accompany coffee that the PTSA will provide. Let's share (as you are able) some gratitude & love for these amazing humans working with our kiddos. You can drop your contribution off at the exterior cafeteria doors in the morning before school. Thanks!
8th grade speeches begin Tuesday April 12 (NEW)
Each year as our SES 8th graders prepare to leave for high school, they must complete a portfolio of assignments designed to help them think both retrospectively, prospectively and introspectively. One of those assignments is a speech that talks about something they believe.
On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays during middle school morning meeting, 8th graders are delivering these speeches, starting at 8:45am. PPS policy allows us to hold assemblies and events in person, and we're delighted to report that speeches will take place in person in the SES Auditorium. Also according to PPS policy, we cannot require people to wear masks or to social distance; please keep this in mind as you make your decision whether to attend in person.
You can find the schedule of speeches here. The schedule does change, so please be sure to check for updates regularly if there's someone you really want to see. (Note: No one is allowed to exit or enter the auditorium when a speech is in progress; please show up on time.)
Dear parents of rising 6th graders (NEW)
We are excited to host you and your students to a preview of middle school at Sunnyside Environmental. Please join us on Wednesday April 20th for an afternoon of information about the middle school program, a tour of the middle school classrooms by current middle schoolers, and a chance to meet administration and counselors. The students are welcome to join us in the auditorium for a snack and a meet and greet with one another at 3:15. The informational session will start at 3:30.
Volunteer Spots Open: SES Walk Run Move — May 13! (NEW)
The Walk Run Move is getting closer, and we need your help! On Friday, May 13, we will stretch, shuffle, shimmy or sprint our way around the school to raise some funds, pump our heart muscles, and have fun. Student, staff, and adult participation of all mobility levels welcome! You’ll gather pledges for active minutes and support SES PTSA's goal to raise $12,000 for our marvelous school programs.
Volunteer Sign-Up Now Open:
We need cheerers, chalk artists, laps counters, water fillers, corner safety people, and official finish line flag waiver and much more. Please sign up!
- Friday, April 22 - Fundraising Begins (Registration forms sent home)
- Friday, May 13 - SES Walk Run Move Event
- Friday, May 20 - Pledge Sheets Due
Do you know a company that wants to partner or donate prizes? Have a new idea to make this event the best ever? Contact Steph Barnhart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calling all Sunnyside Families: Seeking auction "getaways" (NEW)
Thank you to all of the incredible parents who have donated already. We are seeking weekend getaway packages in Oregon and beyond. Do you have a family vacation home in the mountains or by the sea? Would you be willing to donate a mini-vacay to help raise funds for Sunnyside? We also need gift cards for restaurants, art, experiences, services (think dog walking or lawn mowing), wine, beer—-anything that you think another parent (or kiddo) may want to bid on! Please fill out this form with the details of your auction item. Thanks for your support!
SAVE THE DATES!!
- Saturday, May 14th:
Sunnyside Comeback Campaign KICKS OFF with a house concert with Laura Viers
- Monday, June 6th:
Sunnyside Comeback Campaign 1970s themed auction WRAP UP party at The Toffee Club
To learn more about the Comeback Campaign, visit our event page.
Tickets on sale soon!
The results are in for Read-A-Thon 2022 (NEW)
You killed it. Thank YOU, Sunnyside Community! We made almost $38,000 for our school programs! This is the most we've ever made. Congrats to all of you for making this year so amazing.
The results for top fundraisers, top readers, top classrooms, top grade groups and raffle winners are in too. We will be delivering prize certificates (and physical prizes) to students next week. If your student is the recipient of a prize that contains a choice of prizes or gift cards please email me at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know your student's choice so I can procure the prize for them.
Drum roll please.....
- TOP READING GRADE GROUP and recipient of this year's house cup trophy: 3rd- 5th
- TOP FUNDRAISING CLASSROOM in K-2 and winners of a class party: Michelle's Class
- TOP FUNDRAISING CLASSROOM in 3-5: and winners of a class party: Leo's Class
- TOP FUNDRAISING CLASSROOM in 6-8 and winners of a class party: Michael's Class
TOP FUNDRAISERS: K-2
- 1st place and winner of $100 from Kids at Heart (3445 SE Hawthorne Blvd): Miles Brown
- 2nd place and winner of $70 worth of gift cards from wherever you like (preference to local stores): Arthur Sherris
- 3rd place and winner of $30 from Books with Pictures (1401 SE Division St): Eliana Davis
- 4th place and winner of $30 from Books with Pictures (1401 SE Division St): Isaac Bennett
TOP FUNDRAISERS: 3-5
- 1st place and winner a choice between a Nintendo Switch, one night at Great Wolf Lodge (with pass), or create your own custom Vans shoes and backpack: Oskar Vankleek
- 2nd place and winner of $70 worth of gift cards from wherever you like (preference to local stores): Emma Auger
- 3rd place and winner of $30 from Books with Pictures (1401 SE Division St): Ianto Hauptmann
- 4th place and winner of $30 from Books with Pictures (1401 SE Division St): William Ott
TOP FUNDRAISERS: 6-8
- 1st place and winner a choice between a Nintendo Switch, one night at Great Wolf Lodge (with pass), or create your own custom Vans shoes and backpack: Ronan Hill
- 2nd place and winner of $70 worth of gift cards from wherever you like (preference to local stores): Raya Codrescu
- 3rd place and winner of $30 from Books with Pictures (1401 SE Division St): Mckenna Coughlin
- 4th place and winner of $30 from Books with Pictures (1401 SE Division St): Atticus St. Martin-Leopold
TOP READING CLASSROOMS
- TOP READING CLASSROOM in K-2 and winners of $100 worth of books from a local store: Eric's Class
- TOP READING CLASSROOM in 3-5 and winners of $100 worth of books from a local store: Asa's Class
- TOP READING CLASSROOM in K-2 and winners of $100 worth of books from a local store: Michael's Class
TOP READERS PER GRADE:
- K: Hazel Palochak in Allye's Class
- 1st: Abigail Yetter in Eric's Class
- 2nd: Julia Pellegrini in Angel's Class
- 3rd: Viggo Nieuwenhuizen in Tiffany's Class
- 4th: Rowan Darling in Jeremy's Class
- 5th: Rowan Lucky Moonbell in Leo's Class
- 6th: Ora Darling in Robin's Class
- 7th: Erin Lancaster in Tara's Class
- 8th: Shen Cassioli in Michael's Class
TOP 50 Readers at Sunnyside and winner's of one free ice cream from Dairy Hill Ice Cream (1428 SE 36th Ave):
Hazel Palochak, Geneva McClain, Julia Pellegrin, Liza Bloom, Penny Huff, Clementine Sackett, June Prince, Andrew Yetter, Raya Codrescu, August Ewers, Ellie Nine, Lois Davis, Marian Mendoza-Hamrick, Erik Nilenders, Isaac Bennett, Abigail Yetter, Pax (Eric's class), Zander Nieuwenhuizen, Canyon Harrison, Rowan Darling, Leo Cohen, Bennett Lembo, Miles Lothamer, Oskar Vankleek, Amira Marei, Beatrice Dehozier, Sylvie Newell, Levon Blasko, Sam Wood, Eos (Mary Gage's class), Shen Cassioli, Amelia Shaw, Kai (Robin's class), Sita Patel Niemann, Violet Lothamer, Margot Krshbaum, Eliana Davis, Jet Gira, Felix Cassidy, Arthur Sherris, Bea Oskin, Ranier Szatlock, Ora Darling, Jace Jorgensen, Erin Lancaster, Simone (Tara's class), William Ott, Viggo Nieuwenhuizen, Nina M. (Tiffany's class)
RAFFLE PRIZE WINNERS:
Prize Name Grade Teacher Minecraft backpack Asa Sanders 1 Eric Book Art by Gillian Sophie Wice-Budner 5 Monica Signed Copy of Plants Vs. Zombies Terry Rhoades 2 Angel Signed Copy of Earth Boy Sylas Lyon 4 Jeremy Signed Copy of John's Turn Daylon Dunn Ortiz K Logan Signed Copy of Hannah & Sugar Mary Jordan Cady Russell 1 Eric Signed copy of Lowriders to the Center of the Earth Frances de Michele-Fitzwater 4 Jeremy Signed copy of
10 Ways to Hear Snow
Rory Cotterill 2 Angel Signed copy of Wingbearer Ramona Ewald 4 Asa Advanced Reader's Copy of Lowriders to the Rescue, drawing pens and a Hot Wheel lowrider (package provided by Cathy Camper) Zander Nieuwenhuizen 5 Heather $25 to Pip's Donuts Violet Lothamer 6 Michael "This Book Belongs To" stamp Ash Szatlocky 3 Tiffany Unicat Beanie Boo backpack friend Ellie 2 Michelle $10 gift card from Books with Pictures Malachi Voelker 3 Levia $10 gift card from Books with Pictures Alder Grey 2 Michelle $10 gift card from Books with Pictures Kai 6 Michael $10 gift card from Books with Pictures Erin Lancaster 7 Tara $10 gift card from Books with Pictures Zoe Maeder
Thanks again for everything. You are all appreciated.
Leslie, Read-A-Thon coordinator and mom of Violet, 6th grade and Miles, 4th grade
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club Spring Dates (English) (Spanish)
- Multnomah Youth Commission accepting applications: Flier | FAQ
SES GARDEN DAY: Saturday April 23, 9am-1pm
SES Garden Day, our community garden work party is scheduled to take place on Earth Day, Saturday, April 23 from 9am until 1pm. Drop in!
We need: Builders, weeding, wheelbarrows, rock movers, chicken lovers, sweeping, planting, and everyone to help a little bit.
Vaccine clinics before exclusion day (April 20th)
Immunization clinics prior to exclusion day (April 20th) are going to be held:
- April 13th, 3:45-6:30 at McDaniel Student Health Center
- April 16th, 9am-2pm at David Douglas Student Health Center.
Children’s Health Fair: Saturday, April 16
On Saturday April 16 from 10am-2pm at Sacred Heart Fellowship Hall (3910 SE 11th Avenue), families can get free dental treatment for children, fluoride treatments, dental and vision screenings and more. View the flier for more information.
Please check here for any new information from our incredibly supportive PTSA.
- PTSA needs volunteers
The parents currently serving in SES PTSA positions of President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer will be ending their terms this year - we need new parents to step up and help run the PTSA! This is a vital part of our school that raises funds for art, gardening and field trips. If you're interested please reach out to our current President, Corby Watkins at email@example.com, or come to an upcoming PTSA meeting. .