6th grader and new middle school student welcome day8/16/2022
Dear 6th graders and new Middle School Students,
Welcome to Sunnyside Environmental Middle School!
Youʼre invited to 6th Grade and New Middle Schoolers Welcome Day
Tuesday, August 23rd 10am-12pm
NOTE: This event is for students only
On this Welcome Day, all 6th grade students and any new Middle Schoolers will learn about the ins and outs of what it’s like to be a middle schooler at Sunnyside. Together, with our middle school leaders and counselors, we’ll get to know each other and our school through activities. Students will leave the session feeling comfortable about life in middle school, having made new connections, and excited to start school on August 30th.
A little about Sunnyside Environmental Middle School:
There are 7 Middle School CORE classrooms, each made up of 6th, 7th and 8th grade students together.
- Core: Social Studies (Grades 6-8, Thematic - Ocean, River, Forest, Mountain)
- Math: 6th-Grade Math, 7th-Grade Math/Compacted Math, 8th-grade Math/Compacted Math
- Core Elective: 6th grade school skills, 7th-8th grade Spanish 1-2 (receive HS Credit)
- Elective Wheel: PE, Art, Media/Library, Science Lab.
An example of Middle School Schedule: (This is subject to change based on guidelines)
- 8:45 School begins
- 8:45-9:15 Morning Meeting whole middle school in the auditorium every Monday and Friday.
- 9:20-10:20 Specials or CORE (Specials are Media, Science Enrichment, PE, Art/Environmental Justice elective)
- 10:25-11:25 Specials or CORE (Specials are Media, Science Enrichment, PE, Art/Environmental Justice elective)
- 11:30-12:05 lunch and recess entire MS
- 12:10-1:05 CORE
- 1:10-3:15 6th Grade Math/School Skills and Community (6th grade only, 2 hour afternoon block)
Other things to look forward to in 6th grade:
- K-5 Buddies
- Service Learning
- Outdoor School (dates TBD)
- MS Dances
- Overnight trip in the spring
We are very excited for the upcoming school year. This yearʼs middle school includes a truly great mix of 6th, 7th and 8th graders.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Rebecca Johnson email@example.com
SES middle school counselor