Incoming Kindergarten Family Welcome8/14/2018
Important Dates for Incoming Kindergarten Families
August 14, 2018
Dear Incoming Kindergarten Family,
Happy August! We hope you have had a good summer so far and that you are getting ready for the start of Kindergarten. We are looking forward to the next few weeks and look forward to seeing you in our school.
To help prepare for the transition to Kindergarten, please see the important information and timeline below:
- Prior to to August 29 - Kindergarten Student Information Survey: For those of you who have already completed the Kindergarten Student Information Survey, thank you! The information collected will help the school team better understand your child and their learning needs. We’ll also be using the information to help us guide the student placement process. If you haven’t completed the survey yet, you are encouraged to do so here: Kindergarten Student Information Survey.
- August 18, 12:00-2:00 PM - Incoming Kindergarten Ice Cream Social, Hosted by the PTA: You’re invited to join other families of incoming kindergarten students at the Woodstock City Park for Ice Cream, games, and information from the PTA. We hope to see you there!
- August 27 to August 29 - School Visitation and Oregon Kindergarten Assessment: All families should have received a letter earlier this summer with an appointment for the Oregon Kindergarten Assessment. This is a great opportunity for your child to see the school, meet important school staff, and engage with a Kindergarten Teacher. If you didn’t receive a letter, please contact the school office for your child’s appointment.
- August 29 - Class Placement Message: Families will receive the official notice of their child’s classroom placement. Expect to receive an email by 5:00 PM with the class placement.
- August 30 - First Day of School for Kindergarteners: This is the first official day for Kindergarten students. Families should bring their child to the cafeteria where they will meet their child’s teacher. Teachers will arrive in the cafeteria at approximately 8:10 AM to greet their students and walk them to their classrooms. For the first day, families are welcome to walk with their child to class, but should return to the cafeteria by 8:30 AM.
- August 30, 8:30 AM - Kindergarten Parent/Guardian Orientation and PTA “Boo Hoo” Breakfast: After class begins on the first day, the school and PTA will be hosting a Parent/Guardian Orientation. We will provide an overview of Kindergarten some of the logistics of the daily schedule. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and to engage with other families in your child’s class.
- September 5, 6:00 PM - Open House: The Woodstock Elementary Open House will be a time to come and spend more time in your child’s classroom. It will also be an opportunity to connect with other support staff in our school. Please be on the lookout for more information in the coming weeks. (There will also be a 5:00 PM TAG Meeting and a 5:30 PM ELL Meeting. If you have questions about either meeting, please contact the office.)
If you didn’t have a chance to meet the Kindergarten Teacher Team earlier this year or receive the email announcements send in the spring, please see the short teacher summaries below:
- Minori Taya, Kindergarten Neighborhood Teacher - Ms. Taya will be joining the Kindergarten Team as a Neighborhood Teacher. She comes from Beverly Cleary School and has previous experience as an immersion teacher, so she will bring an understanding of teaching in various programs to Woodstock.
- Mick Forstag, Kindergarten Neighborhood Teacher - Teacher Mick will be continuing in his role as a Kindergarten Teacher at Woodstock this year. Teacher Mick is also an active member of the school’s Equity Team and brings a focus to the school’s equity work on his own practices.
- Jenny Su, Kindergarten MIP Mandarin Partner Teacher - Su Laoshi is well experienced teacher of Mandarin. She has been assigned to Kindergarten for the last several years and infuses several strategies to engage students and help them make meaningful language connections.
- Nancy Gilbertz, Kindergarten MIP English Partner Teacher - Mrs. Gilbertz also has several years of experience in elementary schools. She has taught in both the Neighborhood Program and the Mandarin Immersion Program, but her most recent experience is as an English Partner of the MIP.
I’d also like to take this opportunity to introduce our Chinese Community Agent, Edison Bee. Mr. Bee is available to support our Chinese families in the transition to Woodstock and throughout the school year.
电话：503.956.7329 电邮； email@example.com
Thanks again for being a part of the Woodstock Community. We look forward to seeing you over the next few weeks and working with your throughout the school year.
Seth Johnson, Principal