News for September 27, 20199/27/2019
9/6 - 10/4 - PTA No Stuff Fundraiser
10/2 - Walk + Roll to School Day
10/4 - Nike Global Impact Chinese PE Teachers Visitation
10/7 - 6:30 PM - PTA Meeting
10/21 - Run for the Arts
10/23 - Make Up Day for School Pictures
See the full calendar for Woodstock Elementary online here: https://www.pps.net/Page/434#calendar573/20180831/month.
For information on accessing our online school calendar from other applications, please click here: https://www.pps.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=434&PageType=20&DomainID=166&ModuleInstanceID=573.
2019/20 District Calendar: https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/4/2019-20-School-District-Calendar.pdf
From the Principal
Hello Woodstock Families,
As we go into the weekend, I’d like to share a couple staffing updates:
- We are excited to share that our new English Language Development Educational Assistant (ELD EA), Susan Tan, has been hired. Ms. Tan was able to start this week and although there is a focus on learning the new systems, she has already started working with students. Ms. Tan was recently a Kindergarten Teacher in the Oklahoma City Public Schools District, so she comes with some great experience. Please be sure to welcome her when you see her.
- I also need to share that, Amy Tang, our current Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), will no longer be at Woodstock Elementary. This week is her last week at PPS. Fortunately, the district has been able to quickly hire a replacement for the SLP position. Sarah Vann will begin in her new role next week. She doesn’t have an email set up with the district as of the writing of this newsletter, but if you have any questions regarding the transition, please feel free to contact me.
Please also be aware that we are entering the final week for the “No Stuff” Fundraiser. This is the PTA’s biggest fundraiser of the school year and a way for families to contribute to all the good ways the PTA supports the school and students. We’re on our way to meet the PTA goal of $12,000. You can contribute to the PTA here. If you can’t contribute financially, but still want to support the PTA, please join us for the next PTA Meeting on October 7 at 6:30 PM.
Any contribution, financially or otherwise, is appreciated.
Thanks again for being a part of our community!
Have a great weekend.
With Woodstock Pride,
Seth Johnson, Principal
New Procedure for Visitors and Volunteers
Portland Public Schools has implemented a new visitor/volunteer management system at Woodstock for the 2019/20 school year. Part of keeping students and staff safe is knowing who is in our buildings at all times. Upon entering Woodstock when school is in session (8:10 AM - 2:45 PM), visitors/volunteers will need to present a government issued identification (ID), i.e. drivers license, passport, consulate card, etc. All names will be automatically checked against the sex offender registry, and registered sex offenders will not be permitted to enter the school grounds (View Policy: Registered Sex Offenders 3.10.015-AD or https://www.pps.net/domain/4814).
All visitors/volunteers will need to wear the printed name badge that identifies their name, the date and their destination. The system will create a record with the scanned photo, name, date of birth, and last four digits of the ID number. If you are undocumented or do not have a government-issued ID, bring the official records that you have (i.e. birth certificate, foreign passport, etc.) and school administrators will evaluate and make determinations. Our database is for PPS district use only, and information is not shared with any outside agency.
Approved volunteers who have cleared a Volunteer Background Check will already have their names in the system; however, they will still need to provide their ID upon their first visit. Upon future visits, they will be able to use their name to pull up their record and sign in. Approved volunteers may chaperone and work with students in our schools, whereas, visitors are only allowed restricted access and for shorter lengths of time. New volunteers should visit www.pps.net/volunteer to complete the online volunteer application.
Thank you, in advance, for your understanding and support of enhancing school safety protocols in our district. Please bear with us over while we implement this new system, as it may take longer to sign-in with the office staff.
From the Health Room
Needed: Sweatpants and leggings in sizes 7, 8, and/or 9 for the Health Room
We have a stockpile of clothing for students to access through our Health Assistant when they need them. We are in need of sweatpants or leggings in sizes 7,8 or 9. If you have these items that are new or in good condition, and would like to donate them, please bring them to the office at your earliest convenience.
Information about Lice at school
Woodstock Elementary does not have an exclusion policy for lice. The district and state recommend that the management of head lice in the school setting should not disrupt the educational process. Evidence-based strategies include:
- Abandoning “no-nit” school policies;
- Educating students on the avoidance of head-to-head contact and sharing of personal items;
- Allowing students to remain in class and participate in school-sponsored activities when live lice or nits (the eggs of head lice) are found on their heads;
- Notifying parents/caregivers at the end of the school day when findings indicate the presence of head lice; and
- Educating parents/caregivers about prevention methods, regular head-checks at home, evidencebased treatment options. (NASN, 2016)
For information about lice from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC, as well as examine, treat, comb, please visit the MESD Head Lice Resources and Info page here: https://www.multnomahesd.org/headliceinformation.html
You can also see additional information from the district on the PPS School Health page here: https://www.pps.net/Page/1921.
WALK + ROLL TO SCHOOL DAY IS OCTOBER 2
Come to school a bit early on Wednesday, October 2nd to celebrate walking and rolling! Everyone is welcome.
* Wednesday, October 2nd
* 7:30 am - 7:50 am
* Woodstock Park group picnic tables
* Featuring parade to school at 7:50!
Prizes! Activities! Music! Snacks!
Need a bike lock or bike light?
Is the only thing stopping you from biking to school access to a bike lock or bike light? We have those! You can pick one up at the party or email Madi at email@example.com to coordinate pickup.
Author Visit: Remy Lai
Woodstock is excited to welcome author Remy Lai on Monday, October 21st at 9:00 am. 3rd-5th graders will attend an assembly where she will be speaking to her new book, Pie in the Sky. Family members are also welcome to attend!
About the story:
When Jingwen moves to a new country, he feels like he’s landed on Mars. School is torture, making friends is impossible since he doesn’t speak English, and he's often stuck looking after his (extremely irritating) little brother, Yanghao. To distract himself from the loneliness, Jingwen daydreams about making all the cakes on the menu of Pie in the Sky, the bakery his father had planned to open before he unexpectedly passed away. The only problem is his mother has laid down one major rule: the brothers are not to use the oven while she's at work. As Jingwen and Yanghao bake elaborate cakes, they'll have to cook up elaborate excuses to keep the cake making a secret from Mama.
If you would like to order an autographed copy, here is the form to order.
PICCs of the week
We are excited to recognize our PICCs for this week. Our PICCs of the Week are students that went above and beyond to display Perseverance, Integrity, Compassion, and/or Curiousity.
Please see the group photo of the students from today’s morning meeting below:
From the PTA
Last Week for No Stuff Fundraiser
It’s not too late to donate to the No Stuff Fundraiser! To donate online click here: https://woodstock-pta.org/store. You can also drop off cash or checks in the school office. Any amount is very much appreciated, and you can even set up monthly donations to support Woodstock PTA throughout the year.
Your No Stuff dollars do a whole lot of good for our school. Each year, Woodstock PTA provides teachers with funds to enhance student learning and build our school community. No Stuff funding supports:
- The annual IXL online Math subscription for the entire school
- Field trips that enhance classroom curriculum
- Recess and PE equipment and library books
- Scholarships for after school enrichment programs
And that’s just a few of the great things No Stuff donations bring to our school. Remember this is the fundraiser that replaces the need for your child to sell scented candles and wrapping paper.
If you have already donated – thank you! So far we have 83 families participating in No Stuff this year, and we hope to double, triple, quadruple that amount! It’s your participation that strengthens our school community.
Show us some Woodstock Pride and donate here: https://woodstock-pta.org/store
FALL AFTER SCHOOL CLASSES UPDATE FROM THE PTA
NEW classes added!
- Creative reuse art with Rachel and (Woodstock's own) Tabitha, starting 10/29 艺术, 从10月29日开始
- Coding classes for grades K-2 and 3-5 编码, K - 5年级
- Mad Science, starting in October 疯狂的科学, 从十月开始
You still have time to sign up for these and a few other classes that will begin in October. Visit the PTA bulletin board, the school front office or the PTA website for registration information: Woodstock-pta.org/after-school-programs