Woodstock Newsletter - January 22, 20211/22/2021
- January 26: PTA Dine Out at Dick’s Primal Burger
- January 27: Parent Workshop
- January 29: No School (Teacher Work Day)
- February 15: No School (Holiday)
- February 16: PTA Dine Out at Hopworks Urban Brewery
- March 5: Site Council Meeting
- March 22-26: No School (Spring Break)
News from First Grade
Each week we’re sharing the good work happening in our virtual classrooms. This week we feature the fabulous first grade team:
We are the Feisty Falcons, the All-Star Alpacas, the Golden Retrievers and the Penguins! And we love First Grade! This has been such a strange start of a school year, but our Woodstock first graders have figured it out. We’re getting through this time of CDL, being courageous, staying positive and feeling hopeful.
One ongoing focus in our classes has been Social Emotional Learning. We’re using the Zones of Regulation to identify our feelings and whether we’re in the red, yellow, blue or green zone. We’ve learned strategies to help get back into the ready-to-learn green zone. Especially during this time, it has been increasingly important to be able to self-identify our feelings.
The four first grade classes are having a variety of learning experiences. Here are just a few that one or more of the 1st grade classes have had so far!
- We had a guest speaker who has been to outer space. Whoa!
- Learned how to write a friendly letter to someone.
- We’re exploring our own identities and working on an identity journal.
- We’ve collected, graphed and charted weather data. Cool!
- We’re all becoming 2D and 3D shapes experts.
- Learning new Chinese characters every day. Awesome!
- Writing narratives in English and Chinese.
- We created self-portraits. Super creative.
First graders are looking forward to learning persuasive writing, measurement and fractions math units as well as growing into awesome readers and earning our Word Detective badges.
Next week we’ll hear from the second grade team.
Connect to Kindergarten
If you have an incoming kindergartener for the 2021-2022 school year, be on the lookout for information about upcoming Connect to Kindergarten events. These events are tentatively planned for next month and will happen virtually.
The Office of Teaching & Learning’s Humanities Department, in partnership with the Oregon Historical Society is hosting a virtual workshop about racism in Oregon history. It’s designed to help parents understand how both racism and justice are at the heart of Oregon’s history – and how recognizing this is crucial to our ability to build a better future. Interpretation available upon request.
Wednesday, January 27th from 4:00-6:00 pm
Comcast Channel 28
The next PTA dine out is on Tuesday, January 26th from 11-8pm at Dick’s Primal Burger (4905 SE Woodstock). Order online or call (971) 229-0786. 10% of proceeds benefit our school.