Woodstock Newsletter - February 12, 20212/12/2021
Happy Lunar New Year! Happy Snow Day!
February 15: No School
February 16: PTA Dine Out at Hopworks Urban Brewery
March 5: Site Council Meeting
March 15-19: Spirit Week
- Monday: Woodstock Pride Day
- Tuesday: Hat Day
- Wednesday: Pajama/Stuffy Day
- Thursday: Rainbow Day
- Friday: Class Choice
March 17: PTA Meeting
March 22-26: No School (Spring Break)
March 31: Hosford Connect to 6th Grade
No Book Bags Today
Due to the winter weather, there's no library book bag pick-up today. It resumes next Friday. Crafts for Lunar New Year can also be picked up next week, too.
Community Conversation Recap
If you missed our community conversation this week, here’s a link to the presentations:
Principal Johnson discussed plans for Limited In-Person Instruction (LIPI) and Hybrid Instruction. LIPI starts at Woodstock on March 2nd and is by invitation only. Hybrid instruction is expected to begin in mid-April. All families will have the option to participate in Hybrid Instruction or continue with Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL) for the duration of the school year.
Important Parent Surveys
Portland Public Schools is conducting two important surveys.
- The Fourth Quarter Learning Choice Form is due by February 22nd. Parents will receive a form for each student, allowing you to indicate whether you want your child to participate in Hybrid Instruction or continue with Comprehensive Distance Learning. Your participation is important so that we can plan for staffing, transportation and other logistics.
- The Successful Schools Family Survey is due by March 12th. By taking the survey, it helps us understand your experience as a parent or guardian. This information will guide us as we determine the future of our schools. If you have children at more than one PPS school, please complete one survey for each school your children attend. Take the survey today! If you prefer to fill this out on paper, copies are available at the Woodstock office. Pick one up during office hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org to
have it mailed to you.
Smile! Picture day is coming. We'll be hosting a local photographer - Visual Impressions - on site at Woodstock the week of March 1st. A schedule will be shared soon. A few important details:
- A direct link to purchase picture packets will be sent out to parents/guardians in the next week or so. This email will come directly from the vendor.
- Pictures will be taken outside on school grounds.
- Families are asked to show up at their scheduled class time - no earlier - to maintain COVID safety.
- We ask that only one parent accompany their child/children to pictures.
- Siblings may come together.
- Masks must be worn by everyone and the photographer will request the student remove the mask prior to their portrait.
After pictures have been processed, they’ll be mailed directly to parents homes to lessen exposure to COVID. Please direct questions to Amanda with Visual Impressions Photography at 503-320-3076
News from Fourth Grade
Each week we share news from our virtual classrooms. Today we’re showcasing the fourth graders.
Welcome to 4th grade! We are the Radical Reggies, Diamond Dragons, Smokey Sloths and Flaming Hamsters. We have been learning a ton this year in CDL! Here are a few highlights from our classes:
- In science we've been studying energy and matter.
- In math we're studying multiplication and division relationships. We have been looking at multiple strategies and models to solve equations.
- In Chinese, students are learning about the main idea of a text in both non-fiction and fiction books.
- In English, students are learning about the history of Oregon, including indigenous peoples, land recognition, mountain ranges, landforms, water features, and more! Students will be using their writing skills to create a claim (thesis statement) about a main character and support their idea with evidence from the text.