Weather closure update: Friday activities must end by 7 p.m., weekend activities canceled2/8/2019
In anticipation of forecasted inclement weather, Portland Public Schools has called for all activities in district campuses and buildings to end by 7 p.m. Friday and has canceled all weekend activities.
The canceled weekend activities include field trips and any other events that would have involved transportation via private vehicles.
PPS will reassess weather and road conditions on Sunday and will alert families as early as possible about any closures, delays or bus route adjustments for Monday. The methods we use to inform families:
- Phone calls: Automated calls, in all supported languages (Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian and Somali), will be placed to the primary number listed on each student’s registration. If you’ve changed your number recently, please update it with your school.
- Email: An automated message will be sent to the email address you listed in your child’s registration. The message will be translated into our five supported languages.
- Text message: You will receive a text message on your cell phone, but first you’ll have to opt in to the SchoolMessenger system by texting “Yes” or just “Y” to 68453. If you opt in, you will still receive an auto-dialer call. Texts go to parent and staff phone numbers registered with the district.
We also post updates online:
- Twitter: Follow our account, @PPSConnect.
- Facebook: Connect with us at facebook.com/pps.homepage.
- Our website: Go to net and look for a yellow bar across the top of the page. That’s where you’ll find more detailed information, such as snow routes for buses. Messages will be translated.