Visiting a PPS Campus? Here’s What You’ll Need to Know Under New COVID-19 Guidelines10/14/2021
Dear PPS Families and Community,
If you plan to visit a Portland Public Schools campus, you need to be aware of COVID-19 health and safety measures that will go into effect starting Monday, October 18.
The procedures were created under state guidelines as best practices to keep students and staff safe from COVID-19. They will apply to indoor and outdoor activities, and to any activities before or after school or on weekends. Visitors include family and community members who go to a campus for athletics, performing arts shows, dances, school clubs and non-school gatherings under the Civic Use of Buildings permitting process (when that program, currently suspended, resumes).
Under the guidelines, visitors to PPS campuses will be split into two categories. The requirements for them:
Extended-Time Visitors, defined as anyone who visits a campus for 15 minutes or longer:
- Will be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 if they are eligible for vaccination (12 years of age or older)
- Those 12 and older who are not fully vaccinated will be required to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of visiting campus.
- During school day hours, must sign in at the main office and provide proof of vaccination or a negative test.
- Wear face covering at all times while on campus.
- Use other mitigation techniques, including social distancing and frequent hand washing or sanitizing.
Limited-Time Visitors, anyone who visits a campus for less than 15 minutes:
- Parents and guardians will not be allowed to drop off or pick up their student from the classroom. Each school will designate an area for drop-off and pickup, with supervision.
- During the school day, family members can go to the main office when dropping off or picking up a student.
- Visitors must wear face coverings at all times and maintain physical distancing as much as possible.
To see the full list of procedures, see the Visitors to PPS Campuses Standard Operating Procedure.