Principal's Newsletter 9.9.2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – September 9, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
Next week, on Tuesday, September 13th, from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM, SMS and the SMS PTA will jointly host our first community event, the Ice Cream Social. The Ice Cream Social will take place on the Sellwood Field and in the courtyard. The weather forecast looks perfect with a high of 77 degrees and partly cloudy skies. The west side of the field will be reserved for picnicking and you are invited to bring blankets and/or low picnic chairs according to your preference. The east side of the field will be available for students (and adults if you like!) to run around and play, with the potential for kickball, frisbee, or other games. Families can also just mingle in the courtyard. The PTA will be serving ice cream, and we will have some brief words of welcome and music.
A few words about locked doors and security. Sellwood is a locked and secured building. All doors are kept locked at all times, including the main entrance, with the exception of morning entry and afternoon dismissal or when the doors are being used with staff present.
Please make sure that if you need to enter the building, you go to the main doors on 15th and ring the buzzer. Please don’t try to gain access to the building through another door by knocking or waving to get a staff or student’s attention. They are not allowed to let adults or students into the building through a side door, but rather direct them to the front entrance. Please remind your child not to open the school door for anyone, even if they recognize them as a fellow student. Students arriving late should go to main doors and ring the buzzer. Students should not otherwise be outside the building unless they are accompanied by a staff member. I hope you understand that these measures are intended to keep everyone safe.
Sellwood MS Principal
Hello Sellwood Families,
In honor of September being National Service Dog Month and Suicide Prevention Month. We wanted to reintroduce Jaco! He is Sellwood Middle School's expertly trained Facility Dog from Canine Companions. He was matched with Ms. Katie in April and has been hard at work supporting students and staff ever since.
Jaco seems to brighten everyone's day when he greets students at the door in the morning or walks down the hallways. He knows over 40 commands including "cover" where he will lay across a student's lap and provide deep pressure similar to a weighted blanket, this is a favorite! He also loves to play "tug" which allows students to release some pent up energy in a fun and engaging way.
September is also National Suicide Prevention and Awareness Month. As of July 16, 2022 the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline can be reached by dialing 988. The Lifeline and its partners are working to change the conversation from suicide to suicide prevention, and to initiate actions that can promote healing, help, and hope. The Lifeline provides 24/7 free, confidential support to people in distress; prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones; and best practices for professionals.
Please reach out to the Sellwood School Counselors if you have questions or need support. We are here and happy to help!
Adam Kennybrew (Last names A-L) email@example.com
Katie Francis (Last Names M-Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
Back-to-School Ice Cream Social
Please join us next Tuesday 9/13 from 5:00-6:30 for the Back to School Ice Cream Social. This is an outdoor event for SMS families and staff to celebrate the start of the new school year. Feel free to bring a picnic. Ice cream will be provided.
First PTA Meeting
Our first PTA meeting will be held in person on 9/29 at 7pm. We will meet following Back To School Night as we are hoping many families will already be at SMS. Come join us and learn more about the SMS PTA! For any questions email us: email@example.com
Join the PTA!
We are excited to start a new school year and support our students and SMS community! Help us make this a great year!
Have you signed up for Konstella?
This is a great app where you can find the school directory, calendar of events and volunteer opportunities. Join with the link below!
SELLWOOD MIDDLE FOUNDATION UPDATE
The Pentanque Party is coming up next weekend!
Saturday, September 17th from 2 - 6 pm
Portland Petanque Club
7535 SE 23rd Ave, Portland, OR 97202
Join us for a day of adult fun and get to know the SMS community while supporting our rockstar middle schoolers! Don't know what petanque is? No problem! Think bocce ball meets bowling in the great outdoors. Along with experts to teach us the ropes, we'll have plenty of wine and beer included, as well as plenty of waters and a snack shack (bring cash) to soak it all up. Find a friend and let's get rollin'! You do not need to be a Sellwood Middle parent to attend. This is a community event.
Visit the Sellwood Middle School Foundation page to buy tickets @ sellwoodmiddlefounda
Free + Reduced Price Meals Eligibility:
PPS families can apply for free and reduced price meal benefits. Please use the online application for secure, confidential and quicker processing. Paper applications with translated copies are available for download on the Nutrition Services website as well. For questions or inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Families have the following options to pay for school meals:
- Pay as you go: Bring cash or check (payable to Portland Public Schools) directly to the cafeteria*
- Prepay for meals with cash or check (payable to Portland Public Schools) in the cafeteria*. Funds will be deposited into the student meal account. Purchases will be deducted from the account balance.
- Pay with a debit/credit card using SchoolCafe, a secure online meal payment system. NOTE: There is a minimum payment of $15 and a 5% fee per online transaction.
*Payments can be dropped off at the school office. Please put the payment in an envelope labeled 'cafeteria'. Checks can also be mailed to PPS Nutrition Services, 501 N Dixon St, Portland, OR 97227.
Sellwood Middle School has an "Away all day" policy for cell phones. This means, all cell phones and personal electronic devices are to be away from 9:05 to 3:45. They are not to be used or visible at any time, including lunch. All Sellwood staff will clarify and reinforce this policy. If a student is found with their cell phone out, a Sellwood staff member will take it away and store it in the school office. The first time it is taken away, the caregiver will be called and the student can pick it up in the office at the end of the school day. If a cell phone is confiscated a second time or more, the student’s caregiver must pick it up from the office.
Student/caregiver communication during school hours can be done through the main office. Please refrain texting or calling your student’s cell phone during school hours.
Sellwood Middle School Earbud policy is that students can only use them in the classroom with educator permission. Otherwise, earbuds need to be out of ears and away-- this includes lunch time and hallway passing time.
Thank you in advance for supporting our students in making healthy and safe choices at school.
To this end, we request that families and students show their support and understanding by completing and submitting the SMS Cell Phone Agreement.
SELLWOOD COMMUNITY HOUSE
(The activity described below is not a school sponsored event)
Local filmmaker and "Wild" and "Grimm" actor Randy Schulman invites our neighborhood teens and tweens to be part of a silent film to be screened next year at the Moreland Theater! To qualify, kids must participate in one of the upcoming 6 week Acting for the Camera sessions, beginning next Thursday, Sept 15th. Randy is an incredible instructor and your kids will have a blast! The class will end with a showcase for parents. https://sellwood-community-
Director, Programs and Development
Sellwood Community House
The best way to reach us is by email.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa (“Records/Registration”) or press 3 for Claire (Principal’s Secretary)
- When prompted, press 2 for any “Attendance” matters. It’s a designated line just for attendance.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication. This is not a private line and confidential messages should not be left in this voice box.
- Sellwood is a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Please email both Melissa and Claire for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door or getting a message to a student. Advance notice is strongly recommended since the office is very busy throughout the day.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (email@example.com) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- September 13: SMS Ice Cream Social 5:00-6:30
- September 17: Petanque – Foundation Fundraiser 2-6PM, Petanque Club, 7535 SE 23rd
- September 29: Back-to-School Night 5:30-7:00PM (planned to be in-person this year)
- September 29: PTA Meeting 7:00 PM (also in-person - after Back-to-School Night