2019-20 Site Council Meeting Minutes
Please check back to view Site Council Meeting Minutes, recorded monthly.
Sabin Site Council
School Site Councils were mandated in 1991 by the Oregon Legislature with the passage of the “Oregon Educational Act for the 21st Century.” ORS 329.704 states:
1. “There shall be established at each school a 21st Century Schools Council.” [These are commonly called Site Councils.] “The duties...shall include but not be limited to:
- The development of plans to improve the professional growth of the school’s staff;
- The improvement of the school’s instructional program;
- The development and coordination of plans for the implementation of programs under this chapter at the school;
- The administration of grants-in-aid for the professional development of teachers and classified district employees...”
2. A Site Council “shall be composed of teachers, parents, classified employees and principal or the principal’s designee, as follows:
- Not more than half the members shall be teachers;
- Not more than half the members shall be parents;
- At least one member shall be a classified employee; and
- One member shall be the principal or the principal’s designee."
3. In addition other members may be “...including but not limited to local school committee members, business leaders, students and members of the community at large.”
4. Members of a site council “shall be selected as follows:
- Teachers shall be licensed teachers elected by licensed teachers at the school site;
- Classified employees shall be elected by classified employees at the school site;
- Parents shall be selected by parents of students attending the school;
- Other representatives shall be selected by the council.”
To fulfill the mandate of the state legislature, the Sabin Elementary Site Council has developed and will approve a Comprehensive Achievement Plan (CAP). The Plan will:
- delineate both long- and short-term school improvement objectives;
- include specific actions, specific personnel, and measurable outcomes.
The Site Council will:
- solicit input regarding the CAP from staff, parents, administration, students, and community members;
- closely monitor progress toward attainment of the objectives during the school year;
- review and revise as necessary the CAP each spring for the following school year.
For more information on the Sabin Site Council, please contact Sabin Principal, Reiko Williams at 503-916-6181 or firstname.lastname@example.org