Hello PPS Communities,
Are you interested in learning more about the PPS budget? The Budget Info Session is a great opportunity for you to learn more about the budget, the district’s strategic plan and targeted investments, to ask questions and provide feedback!
November 17, 2022
Dear PPS families and students,
Every week, I am filled with joy and gratitude when I visit our school communities. We have a community that continues to demonstrate a commitment to the success of our children and youth. We have adults who care deeply for our students, and who work hard to ensure each child thrives.
Dear PPS Community,
I want to recognize, on this Veterans Day, all those individuals who have served our country, especially those members of our families and local community who have previously worn a uniform. I want to take this moment to also thank the many veterans who continue their public service by choosing to work in the Portland Public Schools.
Dear PPS Families,
There has been a surge in pediatric respiratory illnesses other than COVID-19 such as respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), rhinovirus/enterovirus, and influenza around the country this fall. Health departments in other states have seen children presenting with multiple respiratory illnesses. According to the Oregon Health Authority, rates of respiratory disease are currently relatively low in our state, but that could change based on the arrival of winter weather, and any increase in rates has the potential to overwhelm our hospital system.
PPS takes these steps to ensure healthy school environments so that in-person learning can continue. In accordance with CDC guidance, we are also urging families to take steps to protect themselves and minimize the spread of communicable diseases in our schools.
3:15 PM - 4:45 PM School Board- Audit Committee Meeting
5:00 PM - 8:00 PM School Board- Work Session
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM School Board- Levy Committee
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board- Regular Meeting
1:00 PM - 2:30 PM School Board- Intergovernmental Committee Meeting
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM School Board- Facilities and Operations Committee Meeting
Welcome to Sitton!
We are an amazing, diverse community serving 400 talented students!
We offer a well-rounded program grounded in the belief that when students and teachers are engaged in work that is challenging, adventurous and meaningful, learning and achievement flourish. A few important elements of our school’s model include:
- Our use of Expiditionary Learning Curriculum in grades K-5 to provide an integrated Reading, Writing, Social Studies and Science approach.
- Our use of standards-based mathematics instruction, Ready Math.
- Our philosophy and support for inclusion of students with identified special needs
- Our dual language immersion program in Spanish in grades K-5
- Our partnerships with families and the community including SUN Community After School and YEP (Youth Empowerment Program). Every First Friday we hold a community celebration and farmer's market highlighting student performances, tables from a variety of Community & School Partners as well as our Food Bank and Clothing Closet Resources.
- Our commitment to engaging enrichment activities including Library, Physical Education, Visual Arts, and Music.
We communicate with families through various means including our weekly family newsletter in English and Spanish; our Facebook page (please click on the Facebook tab); through text messaging; and more. Should you have any questions, worries, wonders, or ideas, please do not hesitate to connect, come to Principal’s Coffee on the second Friday of the month, PTA on the first Thursday of the month, or Site Council & Family Leadership Team on the third Wednesday of the month. Our updated calendar can be found on the calendar tab of this website.
Thank you for sharing your amazing students with us every day!
Becky Berry, Principal