Welcome to Sitton!
We are an amazing, diverse community serving 400 talented students! We offer a well-rounded program grounded in the belief that all of our students belong to all of us. A few important elements of our school’s model include:
- Our use of Equity Based Balanced Literacy including Reading and Writing Workshop
- Our use of standards-based mathematics instruction
- Our work to integrated English Language Development into Social Studies and Science Content
- Our philosophy and support for inclusion of students with identified special needs
- Our growing dual language immersion program in Spanish (K, ½, and 3rd grades)
- Our partnerships with families and the community
- Our commitment to engaging enrichment activities including Library, Physical Education, Visual Arts, Instrumental Music (strings for 1st-4th), Gardening Classes through GROW Portland, and Cooking Classes through OSU.
We communicate with families through various means including our weekly family newsletter in English and Spanish (available here); our Facebook page (please click on the Facebook tab); my weekly video newsletters on Facebook; through text messaging; and more. Should you have any questions, worries, wonders, or ideas, please do not hesitate to connect, come to Principal’s Coffee on the second Friday of the month, PTA on the first Thursday of the month, or Site Council & Family Leadership Team on the third Wednesday of the month. Our updated calendar can be found here.
Thank you for sharing your amazing students with us every day!
Dana L. Nerenberg, Principal
The Portland Public Schools Board of Education voted unanimously to extend PPS Superintendent Guadalupe Guerrero's current contract by another two years during its Tuesday, June 25 meeting. Since he will be entering the third year of his original contract, the Board has committed to a total of five years through June 2022 with Guerrero at the helm. The approval came after board members offered a comprehensively positive review of his performance.
A public hearing will be held by the Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission on the budget approved by the Budget Committee for Portland Public School District 1J, Multnomah County, Oregon for the fiscal year July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020. The hearing will be held in the Board Auditorium at the Blanchard Education Service Center (BESC), 501 North Dixon Street, Portland, Oregon, on the 25th day of June at 3 p.m.
I am pleased to announce that Dr. Liane Kehaulani O’Banion has accepted our offer to become Portland Public School’s Director of Title IX Policy, Training & Compliance.