Principal's Weekly Message2/24/2023
Hello Families & Partners -
Starting next week, Wednesday March 1st, we are officially starting our Cell Phone Policy reset. In preparation for this, students considered their own cell phone usage and discussed an article, “What Phones Do To Teen Brains (And What Teens Wanted To Know About That)” by John Daley in Advisory on Tuesday & Wednesday earlier this week. Students will continue to learn about the new Cell Phone Policy on Monday and Tuesday next week. Here are the Advisory lesson slides being used to support this work with our students and the new policy below.
Ockley Green Middle School
Cell Phone Use
- Cell phones off and away while class is in session (including when students leave class for the bathroom).
- No cell phone use for class work
- Cell phones may be used before and after school and lunch/recess (not during passing periods)
- Teachers document cell phone usage in classrooms and support staff intervenes and documents cell phone usage in hallways and during passing periods. Responses noted below:
- 1st Day- Teacher gives verbal warning to have phone off and away and documents in the form
- 2nd Day- Teacher contacts family and documents in the form
- 3rd Day- Teacher conferences with student and documents in the form
- 4th Day- Teacher documents in the form then Admin email teachers about next step for the student, meets with student, contacts family, and sends a warning letter and cell phone contract
- 5th Day- Teacher documents in the form then Admin email teachers about next step for the student, meets with student, contacts family and student must turn in to front office or keep phone at home for one week
- 6th Day- Teacher documents in the form then Admin email teachers about next step for the student, sets up and conducts a meeting with their family and creates a specific cell phone support plan which could include no phone at school for a longer period of time
We value your partnership in communicating the negative impact on students’ ability to focus on learning when phones are out and they are engaging with social media or are texting during class. Please be assured that you will be able to contact your student in an emergency or can relay time-sensitive messages, such as a new pick up time after school, through the Main Office.
Please see below for some important updates!
OG Supporter Fundraiser NEW
Another easy OG Supporter fundraising opportunity! Come on down to Tough Luck next Tuesday, 2/28 dine in or take out. Tough Luck will donate 15% of their sales in support of the OGMS 8th Grade Capstone Dance Team's upcoming trip to Vegas. In Vegas, they'll participate in a workshop with the world famous Jabbawockees and also experience a live performance.
Tuesday, February 28th
All day, dine in/carry out
15% of ALL sales donated to OG Supporters!
Menus, available here: https://www.toughluckbar.com/
Substance Use Awareness REMINDER
Our Counselors are working on a trauma-informed presentation to provide during class on Substance Use Awareness, with a focus on the rise of opiates and the uniquely dangerous nature of fentanyl. PPS has a number of in-district resources on substance use for students and their families. These include:
- Multi-Lingual Prevention Strategies and Healthy Decision Making
- Portland Public Schools Substance Use Resources
- Family request for supports
LAST CHANCE Successful School Survey Closes February 28th REMINDER
Thank you to everyone who has already responded to the Successful School Survey. We are currently at 144 family responses, which is about 38% of our families. We hope to hear from at least 50% of our families.
To take on your own, then, if viewing this via email, click here: Successful Schools Survey (English) or Successful Schools Survey (Spanish). If you need a language other than English or Spanish, start with the English survey and select your language of preference. You can also access either the English or Spanish version via the QR code below.
Direct Link to English Survey
Direct Link to Spanish Survey
Working On It
This is a new section that will be included moving forward to communicate what we are working on. These are areas that, when our team is ready to provide additional information, I will provide an update in the section above.
- Reconfiguration of spaces for the 23-24 school year with a goal of no large classes meeting in the Portable classrooms;
- Ongoing advocacy of replacement of our Portables;
- 5th Grade Open House March 6th;
- Creation of clear identification process for Compacted Math courses.
- February 28th: Black Honor Roll Luncheon
- March 6th: 5th Grade Open House
- March 22nd: Spring Music Concert
- March 27th - 31st: Spring Break
Ockley Green Middle School