History and Mural

  • History

    The original Irvington School was built in 1905 and named for Capt. William Irving. Capt. Irving owned a racetrack located where Irving Park is today. This school building was torn down in 1931. Construction began on the present building soon after demolition. Workers and artisans were employed during construction through funds of the Workers Progress Administration (W.P.A.). The building was dedicated in 1932.

    Entry Mural

    The three large murals in the main entry are paintings by Northwest artist Ed Quigley. The murals were painted in 1936 and depict an emigrant wagon train, a Umatilla Indian village and mounted party in ceremonial dress and an Oregon pioneer farmer plowing his fields. Quigley reportedly worked on the murals for four months and was paid $400. These murals are now worth over $120,000!

    wpa3      wpa2