• Education and Special Education

    Oregon Department of Education - A good place to find Oregon specific answers to some of your special education questions. Includes links to Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR’s), and Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

    The Oregon Parent Information and Resource Center (PIRC or OPIRC) serves all parents, as well as other adults who work with children and families in the state. The Center is funded by the U.S. Department of Education as part of the Goals 2000: Educate America Act. To date the Oregon Parent Information and Resource Center includes 19 sites in six counties. Besides a variety of classes and workshops offered at various sites, staff will search for and provide information requested. The Center and its sites have an extensive lending library with books, audio, video and training on a variety of parenting topics.

    Council for Exceptional Children

    National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities http://www.nichcy.orgNICHCY provides information on disabilities and disability related issues

    Crisis Resources

    Oregon Food Bank
    1-800-777-7427 The hub of a statewide network of 884 hunger-relief agencies. We serve all of Oregon and Clark County in Washington. We collect and distribute food to 20 regional food banks.

    Portland Women's Crisis Line
    (503) 235-5333 or (888) 235-5333
    This 24-hour hotline provides crisis intervention, peer support, and information and referrals about domestic and sexual violence.

    Multnomah County Mental Health Crisis Line
    (503) 988-4888
    This mental health crisis hotline provides assessment and intervention services.

    Oregon Poison Control
    (503) 494-8968
    This hotline provides information on treatment of overdoses and poisonings 24 hours a day.

    Parenting Resources

    Morrison's Parents Anonymous® of Oregon
    (503) 258-4557 or
    Parents Anonymous offers free, ongoing weekly support groups for parents and their children in the tri-county area, helping parents improve communication and parenting skills, and discipline in non-physical ways.

    Metro Child Care Resource and Referral
    (503) 253-5000
    This agency provides referrals to a variety of child care providers, as well as information on applying for child care subsidy programs and on how to choose safe and appropriate care.

    Volunteers of America Child Development Center
    (503) 236-8492
    The Center provides programs for families experiencing or at risk of experiencing child abuse, including parenting classes and crisis respite childcare for families in emergencies.

    Health, Mental Health Information and Referral

    Oregon SafeNet
    (800) SAFE-NET (1-800-723-3638)
    SafeNet provides information on and referrals for low-cost health care services, counseling, support groups, and children's services throughout Oregon.

    Multnomah County Information and Referral Line
    (503) 988-3816
    A multi-lingual referral line which provides information on health care resources in Multnomah County, including free, low-cost, and immediate care.

    Reporting Child Abuse

    State Office for Services to Children and Families

    Child Abuse Hotlines
    Multnomah County: (503) 731-3100 (24-hour)
    Clackamas County: (503) 657-2112 or (800) 628-7876
    Washington County: (503) 648-8951 or (800) 275-8952
    Vancouver, Washington: (360) 993-7901

    National Child Abuse Hotline
    (800) 4-A-CHILD
    The hotline offers crisis intervention, information, and referrals 24 hours a day.