Information About Help for Families to Pay Rent and Utility Bills10/15/2021
Dear PPS Families,
We want to share information about rental and utility assistance that can help families struggling to pay their bills as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Oregon Emergency Rental Assistance Program will cover up to 12 months of past due rent and three months of forward rent, once all past due rent is paid. The program will also cover past due utility costs including electricity, gas, home energy services, water, sewer, trash removal, internet and bulk fuels.
- To apply directly for rental and utility assistance online visit: oregonrentalassistance.org (application is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese and Russian).
- Provide proof that you applied to your landlord to avoid eviction for 90 days while you wait for the rental assistance (Multnomah County). Renters have until February 28, 2022 to pay overdue rent (for April 2020 to June 2021). If you receive an eviction notice, call the Eviction Defense Project at 888-585-9638 to understand your rights and receive free legal assistance.
Direct Utility Assistance
Utility companies are also offering their own assistance programs. Contact them directly to see if you qualify for assistance.
- Pacific Power: Up to $300 forgiven. Go to pacificpower.net/assistanceplus or call 1-888-221-7070
- PGE: Up to $500 matching grant. Go to portlandgeneral.com/help/covid-19/helping-residential-customers or call 1-800-542-8818
- NW Natural: Up to $300 forgiven. Go to nwnatural.com/paymentassistance or call 1-800-422-4012
For questions or other referrals, please call 2-1-1 or visit 211info.org. You may also contact your school counselor or social worker if you need more information or resources.