April 16 Newsletter4/19/2021
Dear Beach Families,
This year has been traumatic for so many of us, and especially for our Black and Brown families. The news of Daunte Wright's death at the hands of police, in addition to the retraumatizing trial of Derek Chauvin and the uptick of visible violence against Asian communities, is at the forefront of all our minds. We know that our communities of color are continuing to face heartbreak after heartbreak.
Our Beach staff is here for you, and we want to make sure that you all have access to any supports you may need. We want to share a couple of supports:
- Here is a link to a flyer about PPS' district-wide crisis support group for our Black, African, and African American students of all ages. Additionally, here is a video about the group created by the duo who run the group, Jonicia Shelton and Maurice Phillips. You can sign your student up for the group through the flyer.
- Lines for Life has a Racial Equity Support Line staffed by people with lived experiences of racism-- it can help support folks who are feeling the impacts of racial violence and microaggressions. The phone line is available weekdays from 10am-7pm-- just call (503) 575-3764.
- For long-term support, we'd like to provide a list of African American Mental Health Practitioners, a list of Asian, Pacific Islander, and South Asian American therapists, as well as a list of Queer and Trans-specific Mental Health Providers of Color.
- SEI has vaccination appointments open today (Friday) and tomorrow (Saturday) for BIPOC folks aged 16+. For more information, or to sign up, please click the links below.
- Friday, April 16, 2021 @ SEI, 11:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M. www.signupgenius.com/go/4-16SEI
- Saturday, April 17, 2021 @ SEI, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM www.signupgenius.com/go/4-17SEI
If you need other supports, or help navigating any of these supports, please do not hesitate to reach out to either Katrina, our counselor, or Rhys, our social worker.
Our hearts are with the Beach community, and communities of color across the country. Your lives matter.
Rhys, Katrina and the whole Beach team
Two messages from our staff, specifically for families of students in Hybrid Instruction:
- It is great to see you all! Please do everything you can to help your child arrive at school on time, whether they are in the 8:00 or the 12:15 cohort. The time students are scheduled to be at school is already very short, and teachers are planning intentionally for every minute. Teachers are generally waiting for all or at least most of their students to arrive so they can start their session with their class all as one group. Our goal is to maximize the valuable instructional time by beginning class as close to 8 or 12:15 as possible. We know some children take time to get up, going and ready… if this is the case for your child, please plan extra time for it in your routine. Thank you so much for this assistance and support.
- When students must miss in person instruction because of a family illness or other challenge for 3 or more days, our staff can support your student to join a CDL option at their grade level. If the absence is for 1-2 days, students are asked to complete asynchronous tasks instead; this is because hybrid and CDL are not necessarily aligned. If students do join into CDL for several days, it would be important for them to join with understanding they likely won't know exactly what is going on in the class and the teacher might not be able to clarify while teaching, depending on the situation. We are not able to provide this accommodation for other situations such as absences due to vacation, etc.
Incoming Kindergarten events
The Page on our website called “Kindergarten” is designed to help you as you register and prepare for kindergarten entry next year. We’re planning virtual events this spring and summer for you.
Incoming Kindergarten (virtual) Open House: Thursday, April 29, 3:10-4:30
- Beach School Tours (video this year) led by current 4th and 5th grade leaders (asynchronous)
- As you enter you’ll see a looping show of photos of our current kindergartners in action (both CDL and hybrid)
- Hear and sing along to our new School Song!
- Quick small group activity with a Kindergarten Teacher or Specialist (parent and child)
- School & Program overview, and Q&A for parents
- Link and RSVP are on our website
Incoming Kindergarten (virtual) Craft Night: Thursday, May 13, 6 pm
- Families come by our school to pick up our Beach Craft Night Kit (supplies for our activity plus our Beach School BLM T-Shirt for each child) between 7:30-4 starting Monday May 10. Ring the buzzer by the front door and we’ll bring one out to you.
- Hear and sing along to our new School Song!
- Our Kindergarten Teachers, Partners and Specialists will lead our craft night activity in break out rooms (small groups of children and families will be able to interact with each other as children work on the activity)
Message from Ms. Macdonald 5th Grade
April is National Poetry month! My goal for the first few weeks of spring instruction is to be off screens as much as possible and re-establish our focus. In my 5th grade class, we are writing a poem each day. I share a type of poem and several examples from myself and former students and then my students write their own. We love poetry because we get to play with figurative language and there aren't any rules about punctuation or paragraphing.
Dear Beach Families and Caregivers,
Virtual Spring term is here!!! Please see below for links to registration.
Spring term dates-
Friends of Baseball:
Mondays & Wednesdays
April 12th- June 2nd
AKA Science & Aeronautics
Begins April 21st- May 26th
REGISTER HERE: https://forms.gle/FRTfphS2be1bWMaT7
YOU CAN ALSO REGISTER FOR ALL SEI OFFERED CLASSES HERE:
Please Note that you MUST complete an SEI Application in order to access ALL SEI OFFERED Classes on the SEI website. Once you complete the SEI application, a password will be sent to you to access the classes on the website. If you have already completed an SEI Application for the 20/21 school year, please email at Moniquesh@selfenhancement.org and I will be happy to assist you!!
We have weeks 5 & 6 coming soon!!! In the meantime, keep practicing those moves and dancing with us!!! Here is the link to the class video for weeks 1, 2, 3 & 4! We will have the 5th and 6th final videos ready very soon!
BSU Meeting Times: Every Tuesday @2:30p with an additional drop in lunch time meeting on Wednesdays from 12:00p-12:30p. Come join us!! Google Meet join code: BEACHBSU2020
BHY Fun Fact of the Week: Dubbed "Hip-Hop's First Godmother" by Billboard, singer and music producer Sylvia Robinson produced the first-ever commercially successful rap record: "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang. And along with her husband, she co-owned the first hip-hop label, Sugar Hill Records.
~Ms. Mo & The BBSU