Principal's Newsletter 02.18.2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – February 18, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
Last night I attended the Southeast Guiding Coalition (SEGC) meeting. As you know, the SEGC has been meeting to review and revise boundaries and programs at the elementary and middle schools in the southeast corner of the district. Previously, there had been a few proposals that would have moved Lewis to a feeder for Lane rather than Sellwood, which would have slashed our enrollment to about 400.
However, F3, the proposal that will be forwarded to the PPS School Board for a vote on March 15th, keeps Lewis as a feeder to Sellwood. There will be some slight boundary changes that will shift a small number of students to Lane starting with 6th-graders in 24/25, 6th and 7th graders in 25/26, etc. You can read the summary letter of last night’s meeting here.
Of course, the SEGC’s proposal is open to revision and amendments, and will still need to be approved by the board.
Enjoy the three-day weekend,
Sellwood MS Principal
SUCCESSFUL SCHOOLS SURVEY
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the phrase “successful schools?” We believe that successful schools are safe, healthy and welcoming learning spaces that are inclusive for all students, but we want to hear your thoughts.
Sellwood is excited to announce the 2022 Successful Schools
Take the survey today! You can complete the survey from a computer, tablet, or smartphone. It should only take 15-20 minutes of your time. Select the Sellwood and answer the questions for our school. If you have children at more than one PPS school, please complete one survey for each school your children attend. If you need help taking the survey please contact me.
Thank you for being part of the Sellwood community!
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
IMMUNIZATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 20th
The deadline to submit proof of required vaccinations has been extended to April 20th. If your student is incomplete with a vaccination/s, the MESD immunization department will mail you a letter that states the exact one your student is incomplete on. You can take that letter, that also comes with a CIS form, to your doctor to fill out and sign after they receive the vaccination. Lease see the attached document:
The easiest way for parents to give us that information, is to just bring in the CIS form/vaccination form or bring in a note from the doctor's office that states the vaccination is now up to date. One of our secretaries will give the proof of vaccination to the health office.
Hello Sellwood Families!
Second semester is a great time for a fresh start! Please remind your student that the school counselors are here to help with organization, study skills, social support, and more!
The best way to schedule an appointment with us is by filling out the Counselor Check-In Request Form or emailing us directly. Messages sent through Canvas are not always responded to promptly.
Rest, relax, and enjoy the long weekend!
-Sellwood counseling team
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (email@example.com) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (email@example.com) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
The Panther Pause website is up and running!
It's still a work in progress, but students (6th, 7th, and 8th grade) from Publishing class have been adding articles and working on design and photography: https://
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- February 21 – Presidents’ Day – No School
- March 21-25 – Spring Break
- April 7 – End of 3rd Quarter
- April 8 – No School for Students
- May 18: Spring Band Concert
- May 25: Spring Marimba Concert
- May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
- June 10 – Last Day of School