Principal's Newsletter 02.28.2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – February 25, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
I hope you are well. I am happy to report no new COVID cases this week! It seems that we have really turned a corner.
Here is a pic of a few new bike racks in the courtyard for student use. We are hoping to get some more installed. In any case, the courtyard is a nice location that is a bit more secure. If your child parks their bike on one of the new racks, they will need to dismount and walk their bikes through the courtyard to avoid any potential collisions with students on foot.
Enjoy the weekend,
Sellwood MS Principal
FROM THE PTA’S JEDI GROUP
Thoughts from the SMS PTA's Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Group
Last night at our meeting, we read the incredible letter from 12-year-old Lonnie Chavis, entitled "America Needs to Change" where he bares his soul about being a Black kid in America.
What vulnerability! What courage! We could think of no better way to honor it and him than to:
Strongly encourage every SMS family
to slow the pace down for 15 minutes
gather their family together
and take the time to read this aloud
as soon as possible.
The impact of racism is felt deeply by those who experience it and all of our children need to hear about the impact, so that all of our children are moved to protect each other's humanity.
After you have read it, it might be hard to know how to talk about it.
Try scrolling to end of this article from the Anti-defamation League for some ideas.
Here is just one of the useful prompts:
"What did Lonnie Chavis mean when he said, "America Needs to Change?"
Let's make Black History Month matter and thank you for taking action within your family.
Bridget Geraghty Barnicle
RESOURCE FOR PARENTS AND CAREGIVERS OF OUR LGBTQ+ STUDENTS.
SUCCESSFUL SCHOOLS SURVEY
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the phrase “successful schools?” We believe that successful schools are safe, healthy and welcoming learning spaces that are inclusive for all students, but we want to hear your thoughts.
Sellwood is excited to announce the 2022 Successful Schools
Take the survey today! You can complete the survey from a computer, tablet, or smartphone. It should only take 15-20 minutes of your time. Select the Sellwood and answer the questions for our school. If you have children at more than one PPS school, please complete one survey for each school your children attend. If you need help taking the survey please contact me.
Thank you for being part of the Sellwood community!
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
IMMUNIZATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 20th
The deadline to submit proof of required vaccinations has been extended to April 20th. If your student is incomplete with a vaccination/s, the MESD immunization department will mail you a letter that states the exact one your student is incomplete on. You can take that letter, that also comes with a CIS form, to your doctor to fill out and sign after they receive the vaccination. Lease see the attached document:
The easiest way for parents to give us that information, is to just bring in the CIS form/vaccination form or bring in a note from the doctor's office that states the vaccination is now up to date. One of our secretaries will give the proof of vaccination to the health office.
Hello Sellwood Families!
Second semester is a great time for a fresh start! Please remind your student that the school counselors are here to help with organization, study skills, social support, and more!
The best way to schedule an appointment with us is by filling out the Counselor Check-In Request Form or emailing us directly. Messages sent through Canvas are not always responded to promptly.
Rest, relax, and enjoy the long weekend!
-Sellwood counseling team
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (email@example.com) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (email@example.com) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- March 21-25 – Spring Break
- April 7 – End of 3rd Quarter
- April 8 – No School for Students
- May 18: Spring Band Concert
- May 25: Spring Marimba Concert
- May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
- June 10 – Last Day of School