Principal's Newsletter 4/1/2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – April 1, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
Earth Day is April 22nd this year. Students, staff, and parent volunteers will be involved in cleaning up the grounds periodically throughout the month during advisory period. Read the PTA news blurb below to find out how you can get involved. Also, we have a few reusable gloves and some trash pickers for student use, but if your child has their own garden gloves, I encourage you to have them bring them to school on their day to help with the clean-up. Refer to the Earth Day Clean-up slides to find out your student’s clean-up day.
Sellwood MS Principal
Please join SMS students and staff in helping clean up the outside of Sellwood for Earth Day!
On 3 Wednesdays in April, parents, students and staff will work together to make our school shine.
Please looks for volunteer spots in Konstella.
REQUIRED SCHOOL IMMUNIZATIONS - FROM THE NURSE’S OFFICE
Two vaccine clinics scheduled at McDaniel Student Health Center on April 13th from 3:45-6:30, and at David Douglas Student Health Center on April 16th from 9am-2pm. See link and attached flyer for more information.
IMMUNIZATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 20th
The deadline to submit proof of required vaccinations has been extended to April 20th. If your student is incomplete with a vaccination/s, the MESD immunization department will mail you a letter that states the exact one your student is incomplete on. You can take that letter, that also comes with a CIS form, to your doctor to fill out and sign after they receive the vaccination.
The easiest way for parents to give us that information, is to just bring in the CIS form/vaccination form or bring in a note from the doctor's office that states the vaccination is now up to date. One of our secretaries will give the proof of vaccination to the health office.
OPPORTUNITIES, CAMPS, and CLASSES
- Multnomah Youth Commission accepting applications (flier) (FAQ)
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland Winter 2022 No-School Workshops and Camps (updated 2/23)
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Discover the Scientist Within February Workshop (English) (Spanish)
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program: (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club (includes Spanish flyer)
LEAP INTO 9TH-GRADE (for 8th-graders)
This 3-week summer program from June 27 to July 15th. It prepares incoming 9th grade students to excel in high school. Daily bus passes will be provided and students will receive a 0.5 high school elective credit.
Here are the details.
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
The best way to schedule an appointment with us is by filling out the Counselor Check-In Request Form or emailing us directly. Messages sent through Canvas are not always responded to promptly.
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (email@example.com) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (email@example.com) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
March 21-25 – Spring Break
April 7 – End of 3rd Quarter
April 8 – No School for Students
May 12 – Ambassador Awards
May 17 – Spring Band Concert
May 25 – Spring Marimba Concert
May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
June 2 – Showcase Night – 5-8PM
TBD – 8th-grade trip to Bullwinkles
June 10 – Oaks Park – 6th & 7th graders
June 10 – 8th grade promotion
June 10 – Last Day of School (half-day)