Principal's Newsletter 4/15/2022
Sellwood Principal’s Newsletter – April 15, 2022
Greetings Sellwood Community,
This week has been a wild ride, with an unexpected snow day on Monday, followed by hail, thunderstorms, and very unlike spring weather. At least the days are getting longer, and we are definitely in the fourth quarter of the school year, even though it may not feel like it!
Enjoy the weekend!
Sellwood MS Principal
Please help carry on the important job of the Sellwood Foundation, by volunteering to be on the board next year. The present board has been in service for two years, and we are all retiring. We are looking for folks to carry on these very important jobs for the 2022-2023 school year. Please email Amy Bourne with any questions about the roles. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earth Day Clean Up
Next Wednesday 4/20 is our final school clean-up day. We are looking for 4 more volunteers to help between 9-10am. Please sign up in Konstella!
Sellwood Garden Tour
Mark your calendars for the Garden Tour to raise money for our school. May 22nd from 11-4; 5 homes are opening their outdoor spaces to the community for a self guided tour. Tickets and event information can be found on our website. www.
In 2019, Sellwood counselor Katie Francis submitted an application to Canine Companions for a service dog to provide loving help and support to Sellwood students. To our joy, the application was accepted, and Katie was invited to Santa Rosa to train with our new service dog. She has spent the past two weeks in Santa Rosa training with Sellwood's new facility dog!
Jaco (pronounced Jake-O) will be Sellwood's new facility dog!
Check out the attached flyer for more information and an awesome picture of Ms. Katie and Jaco!
CLEVELAND 2022-23 VARSITY DANCE TEAM TRYOUTS
Dance Team tryouts at Cleveland High School are coming up! Join us on May 10th and 12th from 5:30-7:30pm to try out for our 2022-2023 Varsity Dance Team! Tryout packets available in the school office, and the main office at Cleveland High School. Interested in trying out but unable to make the dates? Email clevelandtenacitydance@
Cleveland Tenacity Dance Team Coach
IMMUNIZATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 20th
The deadline to submit proof of required vaccinations has been extended to April 20th. If your student is incomplete with a vaccination/s, the MESD immunization department will mail you a letter that states the exact one your student is incomplete on. You can take that letter, that also comes with a CIS form, to your doctor to fill out and sign after they receive the vaccination.
The easiest way for parents to give us that information, is to just bring in the CIS form/vaccination form or bring in a note from the doctor's office that states the vaccination is now up to date. One of our secretaries will give the proof of vaccination to the health office.
OPPORTUNITIES, CAMPS, and CLASSES
- Multnomah Youth Commission accepting applications (flier) (FAQ)
- VIBE of Portland Art Camps, Classes, No-School Workshops
- VIBE of Portland Winter 2022 No-School Workshops and Camps (updated 2/23)
- VIBE of Portland East Winds Summer Camp
- OSU Discover the Scientist Within February Workshop (English) (Spanish)
- OSU Summer Reading Program
- Multnomah Early Childhood Program: (English) (Spanish) (Vietnamese)
- Portland Parks & Recreation Preschool 2022-2023 Registration
- OSU STEM Academy AWSEM Club (includes Spanish flyer)
Use Schoolpay to purchase the yearbook now. Students are working to capture our memories of this school year, and for $20, you can make sure you get a copy in June.
The best way to schedule an appointment with us is by filling out the Counselor Check-In Request Form or emailing us directly. Messages sent through Canvas are not always responded to promptly.
RACE, RACISM, & RACIAL EQUITY RESOURCES
- “What is Systemic Racism?” videos from RaceForward
- Racism Interruptions sentence frames (see PDF in folder)
- “Why Aren’t There More Black People in Oregon? A Hidden History” (Walidah Imarisha)
- Open Monday to Friday, School Hours
The best way to reach us is by email.
- Melissa Whiteside (email@example.com) is our school secretary.
- Claire Howard (firstname.lastname@example.org) is our principal’s secretary.
The Office Phone Number
- The office phone number is 503-916-5656.
- When prompted, press 4 for Melissa or “Attendance”; press 3 for Claire.
- You can also press 0 for the front counter where often students help us answer the phone and direct communication.
- Sellwood is now a locked and secure building.
- Please ring the doorbell to the right of the main doors to reach the office. We will guide you accordingly.
- Arrangements can be made with the office staff for student pick up, a student arriving late, or any other matter that may require meeting a parent/guardian at the front door. If you know of such needs in advance, please email either Melissa or Claire.
Guides to Help you:
- For questions about your student’s absence: Log into ParentVue.
- To make changes to your student's registration in Synergy: ParentVue/StudentVue
Please email Melissa (email@example.com) for:
- Attendance: If you need to excuse your child's attendance.
- Passwords: If you have forgotten your password, have been locked out of your account, or do not have login credentials.
- Registration, Enrollment.
- ParentVue (if your account has been disabled).
Please email Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for:
- School Pay.
- Bookkeeping/accounting issues.
- Administrative Support: Messages or matters of support to the principal or assistant principals.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
- April 7 – End of 3rd Quarter
- April 8 – No School for Students
- May 12 – Ambassador Awards
- May 17 – Spring Band Concert
- May 18 & 19 – Outdoor School (Day Trips returning at 5:30PM)
- May 25 – Spring Marimba Concert
- May 30 – Memorial Day – No School
- June 2 – Showcase Night – 5:30-8:00 PM
- June 7 – 8th-grade trip to OAKS Park
- June 10 – Oaks Park – 6th & 7th graders 9:30 to 12:PM
- June 10 – 8th-grade promotion 10:30 AM
- June 10 – Last Day of School (half-day ending at 12:30)